Age of Tyres when new

So I treated myself to two new tyres for the front. Bought from an online store I've used several times before and have always been impressed with price and service. It was only after I had fitted them I decided to look at the manufacture date and was a bit surprised to see they were already well over 3 years old.

I have contacted them and I'm waiting for a reply, but what would you consider reasonable time between manufacture and being sold?

tyre_001a.jpg

tyre_002a.jpg

3 years is taking the .......

Really I would expect under a year. 

On our cars many people do little mileage, and so are unlikely to wear out in the 7 year recommended lifespan. You have 4 years approx!

Saying that, I was terrified at Spa last year when we were waiting to do the track laps. Lots of cars (I mean about half, possible more?) were wearing boots that were ancient. I was worried about their handling, so vowed to drive in clear space. Which I did!

Quick fit put two "new" tyres on my brother's car, he had them take them off because they were three years old.

I've read tyre manufacturers recommend replacement after 7 years even if  the tyres are not out off tread. (Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?)  So, it all depends on how many miles a year you do, if you do high mileage and are going to wear them out in a couple of years then 3 year old "new" tyres would be OK.

I guess most of us do fairly low mileage and so want as new as possible, a year or less, as suggested. 

My GT6 had 30 year old tyres, the treads were fine but the rubber was all cracked and not really rubber anymore. Still, 5 new tyres only cost £25 each! The tyres on my modern are 3 times as wide and so cost £160 each. Ouch!

• 2 weeks later...

After a quite bizarre response from the seller, they offered to refund me £10.00 per tyre which I accepted. A reasonable compromise I guess, but will remember to check dates before fitting next time.

The 2 tyres I took off were 12 years old, looked absolutely fine with plenty of tread. Only when they were off the rim and I could bend the sidewall that I could see how cracked they were, so if you do have some old tyres on your car, do be careful!

The 2 tyres I took off were 12 years old, looked absolutely fine with plenty of tread. Only when they were off the rim and I could bend the sidewall that I could see how cracked they were, so if you do have some old tyres on your car, do be careful!

This is a tyre off my Zodiac which I am restoring.

DSCF8770_zpsbnh4tkwm.jpg

Like Darren's 12 year old tyres they looked fine with plenty of tread when they were on the car. I now realise they must have been 20 years old! :o

My wife had a Citroën C3 that did little mileage and failed its French MOT because the tyre walls were cracking up, there was plenty of tread and with a casual glance they looked fine, so I agree take care as it is the trye that keeps you on the road.

I am about to fit a set of steels wheels to my 13/60 that have a mixutre of different makes, 4 different makes on the 5 rims, some of them looking virually unused. Their age is a bit questionable and even though I could get away with just buying 2 new I am going to replace 4 and keep the best/youngest for the spare. New tyres are quite cheap and safety IS important, as well as piece of mind.