Lack of power

Roger

Roger,

Your compression numbers are  "okay (ish) ".  The actual number is irrelevant - the gauges are not precision instruments!     They are excellent to compare pressure across the block, but cannot be used to compare with readings from someone else, unless they are done on the same day with the same gauge.      If your readings are +/- 5% across the block, then fine!     

And, oil on the bore always increases the pressure - even well-sealing rings have their seal improved by some oil in the lands!    The Oil Test tells you if a low pressure is due to poor valve sealing, when the oil doesn't improve pressure.

IMHO, you are quite correct to pursue a different  cause for low power.   You found and sorted a carburettor problem, well done.  Ensure that ignition timing correct and use Equal Lift on Overlap  (only the rocker cover needs to come off!) as a check that cam timing correct.

John

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JohnD said:

the gauges are not precision instruments!

Thanks John, no they are certainly not calibrated, at least not the one made in China that I use. However, the company I work for actually make pressure gauges that ARE precision instruments 🙂 They are used in the semi conductor industry, and are "Made with Pride on The Åland Island" 🙂 https://www.inficon.com/en/products/vacuum-gauge-and-controller/cube-cdgsci

I will re-check timing, I only adjusted it to 13 degrees static and have not used a timing light yet.

Roger, if you were using your company's product then of course my previous comments don't apply!   However, then what do you compare your readings with - everyone else is using non-precision kit, so their readings are doubtful, if yours are not! 

Can anyone say what compression should be, if the instrument is calibrated and precise?  I fear it depends on the state of tune of the engine, but a figure for a standard rebuilt engine would be of interest.   

John

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

dont discount the 6 cyl damper ring may have lost its adhesion and the tdc timing marks on the damper ring are wildly out of place

I did check this using one of those tiny cameras you can push into the cylinder throught the spark plug hole. Marks where they should be!

if the diaphragms are fitted with thelugs located looking down with the top cover off the two holes in the air piston base must be towards the engine.

easy to check just 2 x 4 screws 

and do turn the dizzy by hand to find the bests running and then retard it a little from best 

ignore the marks they may be wrong 

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

I had to take a break from my project due to travelling for work. The plan is to find those missing horses this weekend. Air leaks and/or fuel starvation is what I suspect. I think I set the fuel level in the carbs a bit too low in my efforts to make the carbs stop flooding. I took them apart (again....) and the float height seems to be closer to 20 mm instead of the specified 18 mm. Bigger height = lower fuel level I guess. Don't know if that deviation is enough to create the problems I have (?). Anyway, will re-adjust and make sure I get as close as possible to 18 mm.

Back to airleaks. The carb spacers I have do not look good. I don't want to grind them in any way since I don't know if they contain asbesthos. I have tried to order new ones, but the ususal suspects don't seem to have them in stock. Do anyone on here know if spacers for CD 150 are available? If so, where can I buy them?

DSC01237.JPG

Roger, I bought my correct isolator without the cutout from Chic Doig. 

As to the SU isolator all I can say is I bought stub stacks made for an SU but had to elongate the fixing holes to fit my CD150 Strombergs. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T
  • Thanks 1