Stromberg 150CDSE Mongrel Pair?

Stratton Jimmer

Have been running the Sixfire with this pair of Strombergs until it started playing up recently. Having removed and stripped them I suddenly became aware that they have different float chamber blanking plugs in that the front one has what appears to be an adjustable jet. This can't be right can it? The bodies of the carbs are the same albeit that the front one has the choke mechanism. Can anyone advise if I have a mongrel pair or is this as they should be?

IMG_20230909_113831911_HDR.jpg

yes its just an alternative blanking plug for the redundant jet holder assy or the earlier CDS 

only the front one has the starting valve choke withaa fuel feed via tube to the rear one as you have .

look quite workable to me providing the needles and springs are all the same its no worries 

Pete

Recently several people have been querying the type of Strombergs fitted to their car, and whether they are correct for the car.

I found my Haynes Stromberg manual recently which lists all the variants by carb model number/car model. The carb no is either on a small brass/ali tag secured through one of the dashpot cover screws and is also generally stamped into the fixing flange. 20230917_150904.thumb.jpg.dcb90c433a9d52e9cb57cf4a1f1dcd3b.jpg

20230917_150835.jpg

20230917_150805.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having refitted the carbs, the car ran well for a couple of weeks (circa 200 Miles) then the rear carb started playing up with the piston sticking in the up position... NOT GOOD! I have temporarily reverted to using the HS6 SUs and it is running well but having stripped the Strombergs yet again, I can't find what is causing the piston to stick. I'm open to suggestions.

30 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

I can't find what is causing the piston to stick. I'm open to suggestions

Possibly worth trying is this....:

The cover (held by the four Phillips screws) is in principle a precise machine fit to the body of the carburettor. But I've found on at least some Strombergs just a gnats of variance in the fit such that exactly how one tightens the four screws is the difference between binding and no binding. Thus when refitting the cover my approach is to tighten the screws progressively a little at a time while continually feeling the movement of the air valve and, if need be, 'settling' the cover with bit of wiggling. And then, having found the sweet spot not to tighten the screws any more than is needed for attachement.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrishawley said:

Possibly worth trying is this....:

The cover (held by the four Phillips screws) is in principle a precise machine fit to the body of the carburettor. But I've found on at least some Strombergs just a gnats of variance in the fit such that exactly how one tightens the four screws is the difference between binding and no binding. Thus when refitting the cover my approach is to tighten the screws progressively a little at a time while continually feeling the movement of the air valve and, if need be, 'settling' the cover with bit of wiggling. And then, having found the sweet spot not to tighten the screws any more than is needed for attachement.

That is exactly the method I use, which works. I had also previously cleaned the piston, but it still jammed. It's a bit labourious tightening each screw a micron at a time, but heh ho. I often wondered if the top cover flange has been over-tightend in the past by PO and the flange is slightly distorted?

• Like 1