Radiator cap touching bonnet

Iain T

Inspected the rad neck and with the overflow outlet it's not possible to lower. The best solution is to cut the horizontal face off the rad mounting brackets and reweld to gain a few millimeters. Cheaper as well as I can do that myself! This I hope will stop the tinny rattle at high revs🤞

As to body gaps, lines and fit I need to slow down and have a long think before I dive in. 

Iain 

20 hours ago, johny said:

It would definitely have to be male to squeeze in the TR rad and then I dont how much extra cooling there would be as a third of the rad would be inside the valance😁

Give it that rally car look and cut an aperture in the valance with wire mesh to stop stones or ducting? 

I had a look at the rad to valance clearance it's not a lot! I'm only going to lower the rad by 6mm and even then I might have to reshim. No chance of raising the valance! 

A job for the coming dark days. 

Iain 

The larger volume of water would help but by how much? Possibly not a lot. If your current set up is marginal fit an auxiliary electric fan? It could only be a small diameter keeping the existing crank fan but 6" may be enough said the nun to the........ 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

you think that bonnet bulge is OUTRAAAAAAAGEOUS, Dahling!  Wait until you see the new one!

Searching aimlessly through classic cars for sale I spied a NAFA spec Rover P6 V8. For the norf American market the bonnet has THREE ducts! But no bulges..... It looks awful. 

Personally I quite like a nice bonnet power bulge. 

Iain 

24 minutes ago, Straightsix said:

Talking of bonnets this is mine! Fingers crossed the photo uploaded.

Very racy it looks good! 

Not wishing to be an anorak (JohnD will be along soon) it does depend on air turbulence around the bonnet as to how effective louvres are. 

Iain 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Straightsix said:

Yes not an addition I would have chosen but something I’ve inherited.

Coombs Jaguars had bonnet louvres added so your in good company!

When I raced a Mk2 Jaguar I let in a pair of louvres. No idea if the made any difference as I was always concentrating keeping the car on the track! Raising the rear of the bonnet to let hot air out does work but not suitable for a road car. 

Ive angled the rad and put a bit of thin HD foam over the rad cap and was going out for a high speed test but it's too wet and rainy today. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

Iain,

"raising the rear edge of the bonnet" to let out hot air?  How does that work?   On any car with a windscreen, there is a high pressure bubble just on front.  Triumph knew this - that's where the intake is for the cabin ventilation!

Perhaps towards the edges??

John

PS "Anorak"?!?!   I'll have you know I wear two T-shirts when it's wet!

Edited by JohnD
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

If you think that bonnet bulge is OUTRAAAAAAAGEOUS, Dahling!  Wait until you see the new one!

They look more symmetrical are they intakes or are you hiding a supercharger under the bonnet and what happened to the rad cap cod piece? 

Iain 

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

raising the rear edge of the bonnet" to let out hot air?  How does that work? 

To be honest as a rookie I was just following what the old hands did. On the grid there was a nice hot air shimmer out the back of the bonnet but on the move I don't know. Even on an hour race at Donnington it never over heated. I can't say the same for the brakes!!! The smell of toasting brakes is one that has stayed with me... Apart from a cold air box the only ducting we did was for the brakes and oil cooler not the radiator. 

Iain 

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

They look more symmetrical are they intakes or are you hiding a supercharger under the bonnet and what happened to the rad cap cod piece? 

Iain 

After Thruxton this year, my old bonnet was marmelised, and while repair was possible, it would be a massive amount of work.  A friend came to my rescue, and offered me a lovely, undamaged GRP bonnet (I am MOST grateful!) to which a DPO had added said outraaaaaageous bulge which to my eyes only made it better.   They had also cut two holes in it and rather than patch them with GRP, which would never be an invisible repair, instead I searched for and found these blingey air intakes, big enough to cover the holes.   Yes, they look as if I have a V-4 and supercharger under there!  

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Yes, they look as if I have a V-4 and supercharger under there!

Go large, a compact Turner V8 Daimler! 

A (no police about) run down an unnamed A road and I don't think it's  the rad cap rattling against the bonnet. It sounds like a speedo or tacho drive tick. Only happens at 3500-4000+rpm and only when accelerating from those revs. The phoenix 631 is noisy up to 3000rpm then quietens down as everything gets on song so the tick is more noticeable. 

It'll keep me busy for the next few months but modifying the rad bracket is first. 

Iain 

38 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Some engineer's blue on the cap will leave witness marks where it touches.

I did that with white decorators tape on the bonnet and black marker on the cap. I first used a bit of bluetak on the cap to see if my fiddling had worked but it squished it flat, no gap! Off to Vienna next week for a bit of Kulcha so I'll mod the bracket when I get back. 

Iain