Radiator cap touching bonnet

Iain T

On 14/10/2023 at 10:00, Pete Lewis said:

who welded the drop links  ?????   nuts 

At cross purpose the what you call links aren't welded the bonnet pivot bracket is welded to the chassis. I also want to check if the pivot spacer tube is fitted. 

Edited by Iain T

Another head scratching day yesterday. The door rear to quarter gaps are fine but both doors would benefit from moving vertically up 2-3mm and possibly the nearside bottom hinge being shimmed to rotate the angle so the rear top of the drop glass is more parallel with the roof. 

So is there enough play in the three hinge/A pillar bolt holes to raise and angle the door or do I need to shim the hinge/door? 

This won't solve the rad cap issue which I'm still thinking about. Perfect solution is to remove the rad (I need drain to change the antifreeze anyway) and cut and weld the rad bracket say 5mm lower. 

Iain 

47 minutes ago, Iain T said:

the nearside bottom hinge being shimmed to rotate the angle so the rear top of the drop glass is more parallel with the roof. 

There is adjustment in the hinge-to-door bolts as well as the hinge-to-bulkhead. Sounds like you are wanting to move the bottom of the door outboard a little bit? That should be do-able without shims.

6 minutes ago, Josef said:

There is adjustment in the hinge-to-door bolts as well as the hinge-to-bulkhead. Sounds like you are wanting to move the bottom of the door outboard a little bit? That should be do-able without shims.

If the door was a clock face I want to rotate clockwise a couple of minutes and vertically up 2-3mm. The door doesn't need to move outward. 

Never having set a Triumph door before I was hoping to only adjust the hinge/A pillar joint not the hinge/door. 

Iain 

Thanks Joseph and Johny, I'll make some wedges and if necessary ask a neighbour to help. There doesn't seem to be much play in the hinge pin it's just not set correctly by the PO. 

I'm definitely going for the modifying rad bracket route as I can't move the rad back or angle any further and it still touches. 

Iain 

I fear that this won't suit you, IainT, but I had the same problem, caused by a too tall filler cap neck in a new copy Vitesse radiator.

My solution?   Cut a hole, fill it with a beaten alloy dome, paint it a contrasting colour and make a bug into feature!

Bo'ness 2018.jpg

22 minutes ago, JohnD said:

My solution?   Cut a hole, fill it with a beaten alloy dome, paint it a contrasting colour and make a bug into feature!

How about a cod piece power bulge in the bonnet? I think it may effect the resale😂

It must be the Bastuck rad having a different dimension from the cap to mount bracket

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

If the door was a clock face I want to rotate clockwise a couple of minutes and vertically up 2-3mm. The door doesn't need to move outward. 

Ah, OK I misunderstood the plane you were wanting to move the door in. You should be able to loosen one hinge at a time and kind of walk the door up. If you’ve any wear at all in the hinge you need to set it a bit higher than you want to compensate for the drop. You shouldn’t have too much trouble by yourself, though it is one of those “simple” jobs that can take a whole day of fiddling!

7 minutes ago, Josef said:

it is one of those “simple” jobs that can take a whole day of fiddling!

Or weeks in my case!

I'll take it slow n steady. I have to move car spaces tomorrow so lots of Triumph stuff to move and hide from the concierge police..... 

Iain 

3 minutes ago, Steve P said:

My ally rad is also very close to the valance so not much room for moving.

What idiot thought putting a straight 6 in a Herald was a good idea! 

It sounds silly but if I can't drop the rad I could get a shorter neck fitted. 

Iain 

6 minutes ago, Iain T said:

What idiot thought putting a straight 6 in a Herald was a good idea! 

It sounds silly but if I can't drop the rad I could get a shorter neck fitted. 

Iain 

Think youll get 6mm ok. Ive wondered about fitting a TR6 rad and that would deffo need the valance cutting and a TR style bulge welding in😁

14 minutes ago, johny said:

Have I got a problem do you think🥴

You need to "chill out"......... 

Some of the custom properly fabricated rads are nearly £500. It does seem a lot but when you think of the work involved and how long they last? 

Iain

Edited by Iain T