Radiator cap touching bonnet

Iain T

Finally got round to taking a peek at why there is a rub mark on the underside of the bonnet. It seems the rad cap is touching. I can't raise the front on the bonnet as it results in a 'effin great gap at the door/bonnet lower area so I looked to see if I could alter the height and angle of the rad. I can't lower the rad so I put packers at the mounting pads to angle to top forward. I tried this first as its difficult to assess as the rad cap is at an angle as is the bonnet. That was worse, although no visible mark on the outer bonnet face, so I angled the top rearwards which is better but still just gives a witness mark. I'm only looking for a couple of mill clearance so I'll try moving the rad rearwards but with the 12" sucker electric fan it's already mighty close to the water pump. 

Anyone else had this problem. Note I have a Bastuck rad. 

Photos of current gaps. 

Iain 

IMG_20231012_153923.jpg

IMG_20231012_153935.jpg

IMG_20231012_153944.jpg

I'm happy with those gaps, nothing will ever bind! 

What prompted me to investigate was a slight tinny rattle from the front of the car when accelerating at higher revs. At first I thought pinking but no evidence at wot from low revs and high gear. I think and hope it's the cap chattering against the bonnet. I've moved the rad now and I'll stick some thin HD foam on the cap and go for a spin tomorrow, the roads are jammed now, to see if the noise has gone🤞

Iain 

Is it one of the 'ears' of the radiator cap thats touching as Ive noticed on mine one ends up facing forwards when the cap is done up so putting it closer to the slope of the bonnet. You can test it with some putty to see where the squash point is and if so cut both off with a hacksaw so the cap is round? Smooth the edges obviously and the cap will still function perfectly normally...

8 minutes ago, johny said:

Is it one of the 'ears' of the radiator cap

No the ears are pointing across car. It's obviously not hitting hard or there would be a witness on the bonnet outer but it's rubbed off all the inner side paint. 

Iain 

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the cone heights look ok  there is an adjustable drop link hides under the overrider

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

the rad is taller than standard then can you drop it to a lower set of mounting holes on the engine valences

Didn't know that! I thought the rad mounting brackets were welded on to the chassis. 

I was going to remove the front valance to clean and possibly repaint so I'll take a look. 

Iain 

I spaced my rad back with some approx 2mm thick aluminium flat bar (that used to be rucksack reinforcement) on the Spitfire, then gave the front ear of the cap a few whacks with a hammer and scraped a bit of insulation off the underside of the bonnet. Got just enough clearance.

I think 

1 hour ago, johny said:

On my Vitesse they are welded with no adjustment possible☹️

I think Colin may be thinking Herald thoughts where the rad is mounted to the engine bay valances? Which I think is not the case for the Vitesse?

12 hours ago, Josef said:

I spaced my rad back with some approx 2mm thick aluminium flat bar

That's what I've done but used some 1.5mm ali sheet. I slid the packer at the front of the rad mounting bracket to angle the top of rad rearwards. It moved about 15mm.

The bonnet hinge brackets are welded and not adjustable and have an angled slot for adjustment of the pivot pin. Therefore raising the front also pushes the bonnet forward which increases to bonnet rear to windscreen lower gap. This is what happens when a car is a meccano set of sub assemblies of questionable accuracy! 

Iain 

who welded the drop links  ?????   nuts 

these (should)  do need to swivel so when adjusting the turnbuckle on the tie rods the bonnet moves fore /aft to set the gap to the screen panel .........   thats not possible if the links are welded

you can see the links on here item  36

1600 Bonnet Assembly : Canley Classics

pete

Mine is the same as Iains,  although mine is an ally rad from Radtec racing, I think the mounts are about 2-3mm higher than they should be.

If I could I would cut them off and get them dropped, but I just left it. It also has a Spal sucker fan that is Very close to the water pump pulley so no scope for movement backwards.

S

Edited by Steve P