Rebuild required..

mark powell

Following the loss of 2nd and 3rd gears on my trip up to North Wales from Sussex, earlier in the year, I have finally found time to pull the 'box and investigate.

Pictures speak louder than words.   Hopefully my box of a previously dismantled gearbox will supply the parts needed. Oh, and the output shaft main bearing had disintegrated as well...

PA170479.JPG

PA170480.JPG

PA170482.JPG

PA170484.JPG

Oh dear this is worrying! How much noise did it make before failing, a gradual build up or sudden? Obviously had plenty of oil I hope? Unusual for main brg to go and what were the three needle roller bearings like? Was the input shaft support bush in the crank very loose? Im asking as I worry about whats going on in my original 80k vitesse box😱

all you need is a soft drift and hammer but you have it in bits already

tip when refitting the D type 

use two big screwdrivers or similar and when lowering the unit lever open the steel strap bars to free the clutch  this allows everything to align and the unit will drop  on easy

keep fingers out the way  !!!!!

the manual will tell you to use a long screwdriver and poke around in the dark to get the splines lined up ...all pretty hopeless   the gag to lever  open is twit proof or you will be 

poking around for hours 

pete

I'm always amazed at how badly damaged they can be and still, sort off, work. I rebuilt a mini gearbox following the workshop manual, how difficult could it be? How naïve was I? But it ran another 5 years. With the wisdom of age and experience I wouldn't even consider it now, I'd send it away to a gearbox magician.

Doug 

7 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

That looks nasty!

If you decide have a professional rebuild of the gearbox, I can recommend someone in North Wales.... My brother, who has over 30 years experience, including Triumph 'boxes.

Nigel

I could be very tempted, have you got his contact details?

Further investigation results in a difference between my spare layshaft cluster and the damaged one.  Different teeth, so not a straight swap.  The spare ones look well worn.  Now tempted to locate a used standard non-overdrive box... I still have standard prop shafts, so that's not a problem.

PA180491.JPG

PA180490.JPG

Yes as well as different ratios the gear tooth angle and synchro ring size and number changed over the life of that gearbox design. You have a higher chance of finding a good used non OD unit but of course theres no guarantees or real way of knowing its internal condition☹️

1 hour ago, johny said:

Dont forget youll need a different mounting plate and rubber mounts for a non OD box however I think your speedo cable although longer will still do the job...

I've got all the necessary fittings, retained from when I changed to o/d..

• Like 1

I'm going for a used late full synchro box. I'm not anticipating any long trips, so won't miss o/d. Anyway, I have a higher ratio diff, so no real problem.

I will have the D type o/d available for sale, I think the mainshaft is ok. Obviously it will come with all fittings.  

Another question?   At the bottom of the gearlever, under the nylon ball, some manuals show a 'washer' part no.13. There is a recess in the lever and I found a rubber 'o' ring on one of my spare levers in this recess. Should this be correct, or should there be another steel washer as I found on another of my spare levers?

• 1 month later...