Thermostat bolt extraction

piran

i have never had a remains fail with the chuck type stud removal/refitting  tool they are  bullet proof .

its one of those tools you remember how good it is a long time after you forgot the cost 

if its sheared flush then its just drill it in stages 

most other tools are made to sell but not made to work 

Pete

Finally got all the bits in, and put things back together. Unfortunately I've trashed the olive on the stainless steel water pipe - it would appear that the pipe isn't quite long enough (or the bracket is in the worng place) so as I fitted it together the olive slipped off the end and got squished between the new pipe and the water pump housing. I've already had to file out the hole for the mounting of the pipe as it wasn't big enough to fit over the stud in the engine block. When I get a new olive I'll see if I can work out how to modify the pipe to fit.

Very frustrating as I was hoping to get it back together today. Just poured a good bit of my new coolant on the floor - hope  have enough left 

16 hours ago, DanMi said:

Ah the fun of new pattern parts!

If only they would use a pattern and not make the bits from memory.

The pipe shouldn't go so far into the housing that it seals against the metal and blocks, you just have to approximate the position and tighten fully to hold it there, then work out where the fixing bracket at the other end will attach whilst not pulling the pipe out of the housing again. Some of them really are woeful. I've made that mistake in the past, pushing the pipe in as far as it will go then tightening around the olive, and wondering why the flow is restricted.

• Haha 1

On 05/11/2023 at 13:24, Pete Lewis said:

simple test  connect  the  sender wire to earth should give a full (hot) gauge reading (ign on)

if it doesnt then fault is gauge related or voltage stabiliser has a problem (or the sender wire has a problem)

Pete

Gauge works, so it must be the sender- got one on order.