Strange engine number on Spit 1500

Larry Mac

http://www.team.net/www/triumph/trprefix.html
https://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit_and_gt6_specs.htm

None of those are a ‘normal’ Triumph engine number (see the info in the links above). But I would not worry. Most likely the DVLA will not care in the slightest what Triumph did or did not use as engine numbers. They ignored my attempt at correcting the 0 to an O on my Spitfire’s commission number… The paperwork only needs to show a unique ID, which yours is for sure.

• Thanks 1

Cheers ....  should mention that the engine is well balanced and loads of poke.  I am assuming it is a Spitfire engine .  53,000 miles and all cylinders  read the same high compression. Ive had it for 11 years 

Thanks for your input. ☺👍

• Like 1

Firstly, it's not unique - I've seen others with that kind of number, same sequence and codes. This one was debated on the Club Triumph website quite a few years ago now.

Screenshot2023-10-23at14_36_11.png.8627f131498e335024739949afa35ed7.png

This one reads RTC2459R 00608T and underneath ADH214. I'd say that the RTC number is the engine number now.

I thought the RTC code rang a bell from later British Leyland / Unipart stuff and it's possible this was a late factory-reconditioned engine, but post Gold-Seal days.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Larry Mac said:

Using RTC2459R  without 00822T would be pointless.

I'd need to use complete from R to T otherwise there would be many cars with RTC2459R.

OR  I use ' FBB 052'  as my unique engine number

Which one should I use. ?

The DVLA don't really care what the engine number is, so long as there is one and its stated on the log book.

You could always get a set of number stamps and make up your own number and stamp it on the block in the traditional place.

• Like 1

I would have thought it made far more sense to use the top long identifier as opposed to the lower, shorter code. I suspect the latter relates to who completed the work, so is unlikely to be unique, whereas the longer number certainly should be.

Gully