Best way to lift and store a Gt6 bonnet

AidanT

Hi all

Some advice please from all.

I need to lift off and store my gt6 bonnet in a restricted space. It will have to sit above the car tied to the roof struts. Or placed on the car roof somehow.

Any advice on

Lifting it up and strapping above the car??

TIA

Edited by AidanT

Nor me, neither!   But in restoring my first Vitesse, I had to lift the body off the chassis.    The WSM shows how to do this, and I rigged pulleys in my garage roof beams and two halliards to the front and back of the body. 

Then, hauling on each halliard alternately, securing each to a becket while I hauled the other, I was able to lift the body enough to take the chassis out.   I have a pic if you need, but I'm on my phone just now!

The bonnet is made to to.be supported ON the frame, so leave it on that, a rope on each frame pivot.  Then, I suggest a length of timber under the rear edge, to lift that and store the bonnet horizontally.

Good luck!

JOhn

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Nor me, neither!   But in restoring my first Vitesse, I had to lift the body off the chassis.    The WSM shows how to do this, and I rigged pulleys in my garage roof beams and two hallmarks to the front and back of the body. 

Then, hauling on each hilliard alternately, securing each to a becket while I hauled the other, I was able to lift the body enough to take the chassis out.   I have a pic if you need, but I'm on my phone just now!

The bonnet is made to to.be supported ON the frame, so leave it on that, a rope on each frame pivot.  Then, I suggest a length of timber under the rear edge, to lift that and store the bonnet horrozontally.

Good luck!

JOhn

Yes please John

On 18/11/2023 at 13:06, Colin Lindsay said:

Be careful of the rear corner 'points' if standing it on end, they bend and crease very easily. 

There must be lots of ways of doing this.

Here is one idea:

With very restricted storage space at the time,  I stored the bonnet vertically on a wheeled wooden platform shaped to the rear end of the bonnet, cushioned by  foam flooring bits and all fixed to a a metal frame work  welded up from scrap bolted to  the bonnet

It allowed the bonnet to be protected whilst stored, and easily  wheeled to where it could be tipped flat and worked on,( serving as a jig for welding in new wings  and wheel arches ) and then wheeled back to the narrow vertical storage area as work slowly  progressed.

B248A332-7D2E-4B75-8599-BEEA041BD26B.thumb.jpeg.4db93cb41bf27b9313f882eef7a94486.jpegA03C5FA6-CA77-45AC-B9A4-4590C93F5D5A.thumb.jpeg.1ed8405e940bbc10e254759ccac33f95.jpeg80D8C5EB-FA22-426C-884A-4B9305989321.thumb.jpeg.372e593a1d6047e51e78b3b708fe3077.jpeg

• Like 2