GT6 Flywheel

Robin

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I've got the chance of buying a Mk3 gt6 engine as a replacement for my mk2 2000 - it's not running but the owner says it can be cranked over and shows good compression. It's complete but missing the flywheel so my question is (here's the dumb bit) - do I just need to source a flywheel (if so how much) or is there more to it?

Also if it does turn over with good compression is it worth fitting (and hoping) or would you say it needs a strip down and check - presumably an expensive job?

Many thanks

Robin

The flywheel will swap from your car. You will need to swap frontplate (mounts and PAS if fitted) and backplate.

The sump is different too. But while sump is off you can easily check the crank and all bearings, very simple to do.

Out of interest, when the owner says good compression, I am guessing that is "feel" as no starter is fitted? 

(all above are assuming this is for a 2000. If not just swap flywheel, but I would check the bearings and thrusts as a matter of course while the engine is out)

Doubt you will find a new one.

Besides, I reckon it already has a vitesse flywheel on your car, unless it has a 2000 type starter (you can't use a GT6/vitesse etc starter on a 2000 flywheel)

If you buy a recon engine or anything else it is usually supplied without flywheel. It is like manifolds etc, a part you swap from one engine to another. 4 bolts and it is done.

Does iy have a solenoid on the starter itself? sort of a small can shaped bit on the side of the main motor? The battery cable will attach to this.

On a GT6/vit etc started the starter is a single unit, no bulges or attachments.

Chances are then the engine was fitted to your car they swapped all the bits over from the previous engine. The thicker saloon flywheel may have caused clutch issues (when I used a GT6 flywheel on my 2.5 with a 2.5 gearbox, the clutch was a nightmare!)

The saloon flywheels and GT6 flywheels are different in weight; I used a saloon one in my GT6 for some years and it made the engine a lot smoother. I still have it but sadly carriage to you would be horrendous, otherwise you're welcome to it.

Not as bad as one might think Colin. Twenty six pounds on a 3 day plus service according to the Parcels2Go site. This is based on a notional 15kg parcel 50cm x 50cm x 25cm and Dungannon post office post code to my home Sorry for interfering but what else is there to do on a day like today?  :)

Hi Robin, I have the opposite going on as I write. I'm swapping a Mk3 GT6 engine for a MK2 Vitesse engine and I'm pretty sure that the two flywheels are identical (well mine are anyhow). If it were me then I would refurb your original engine especially if it has matching numbers that go with the car, theres not much in the two except the compression ratio which you can increase in the late Vitesse with a bit of number crunching and skimming the head. You will need to take apart the GT6 engine anyhow when/if you get it, save yourself the pain having two engines that need machining and work with the one you have got, I have learnt from experience to trust no one! unless you have built it yourself or had a professional do it save yourself the grief.

Hope that helps

Hag

Hi Robin, I'm swapping because I had serious oil pressure problems with the GT6 engine, came down to aftermarket cam ruining the block journals, I mean completed mashed and the block was a write off. It was fitted to my MK1 GT6, so the engine wasn't original anyhow. I sourced a late MK2 Vitesse engine that had been refurbed many years ago and never ran in the hope that I could strip, clean & Just check before reassembling, hoping to save on machining costs. Bottom line here was it needed reboring and the crank needed regrinding but the GT6 block was knackered so not much choice really. If I could have saved the gt6 engine I would have done, luckily the guy I bought the vitesse engine off threw in an overdrive gearbox & prop, a complete rotoflex rear suspension set up, plus a complete front suspension set up as well.

Thanks

Hag

Apart from the mix of Dome or Flat pistons and heads to match the base engine is exactly the same beast the only tuning variant would be which cam is fitted

There were a few varied on big saloon , less variety on vitesse

identified by rings cut into the front journal, you could check the spec with a dial gauge and crank protractor to get the lift and angles

pete

Pete