Herald -Spit rear axle camber - idle observation

Hi All.

Really, really idle question. Why does the Herald rear suspension angle inward, when I've observed the Spit set up angle completely the opposite way. 'Specially puzzling as I've always thought the two chassis sets are interchangeable?? ('Assume' makes an ass (out of) u (&) me!!). Is it therefore a differing suspension set up off the same basic chassis or . . . . ??? Still willing to be educated at age 65. Size 12 shoes. 

Cheers, C.

Re: the Spitfire camber angle, you are probably comparing the Herald  (swing axle )suspension, where the spring was rigidly bolted atop the diff, compared to the later Spitfire IV or 1500 model which had a 'swing spring' ,where basically the spring pivoted slightly via a central pivot point box atop the diff. This was BL's attempt to reduce excessive camber angles and improve roadholding. As a simple device it works well. You can swap a swing spring into a Spit 1,2,or 3 if desired. Thats why most later Spits show a bit of negative camber at the rear wheels -top of wheel leans in slightly 

I imagine it boils down to two things:-

1) You can load up a Herald far more than a Spit. Positive camber allows for a driver plus four passengers, and a boot full of luggage.

2) Spits are expected to be driven more "enthusiastically" than Heralds. Negative camber gives better handling at the expense of load capacity.

The springs a different to give these characteristics. Does that sound about right?

Cheers, Richard

yes always difficult for vehicle manufactures as the suspension has a wide range of load to cope with and this obviously affects ride height. On motorbikes theres often spring preload so the bike ride height can be ajusted for a passenger or luggage while some lorries have an extra axle that can be lowered into use when fully loaded to keep it at the right height.

Unfortunately our cars dont have any of this adjustment so springs that can support the maximum design load are installed and then when that load isnt carried the change in ride height is particularly obvious due to the swing axle design☹️

Air suspension anyone?