Waterless Coolant

Jonah

Evening all

i run my Spitfire Mk3 on Evan’s waterless coolant,  the temperature gauge indicates that the engine is running really hot, this coolant runs at circa 10 degrees higher than other coolants.

would a different rated thermostat give a more realistic temperature indication?

Thanks Julian 

Thermostat won't make any difference to temperature or the gauge reading other than maybe dropping a bit when it opens.Is the engine actually running hot?.

A digital thermometer can tell you.

Senders also give quite variable readings because of the differing resistance of the modern offerings.

I changed from waterless back to water/antifreeze when the whole lot gummed up the waterways due to contamination,it turned to jelly.

Steve

check the voltage stabiliser is giving a 10.5v pulsed output  you may notice the fuel gauge is also reading higher 

as steve says some senders have wildly wrong setting.

the thermostat controls the coolant flow and the radiator cools the engine output 

the type of coolant should not affect this operation , the fact this coolant can withstand a higher temperature than other coolants has no bearing on the stats ability to control things

you need to check the readings are correct  not look for scape goats ideas 

do some checks  and let us know .

Pete

and one other thing to note waxstats dont like to be boiled if the engine has overheated and blown out coolant the thermostat should be replaced   on a mk3 82c is std.

but once cooked they tend to go out of control .

Pete

As an aside, do you still have the overflow pipe and bottle on your cars? I would have thought them redundant with waterless coolant and should mean that topping up the bottle once in a while is no longer necessary. Of course a down side is that theres no longer a way to see the system is full without removing the rad cap...

I was always wary of waterless coolant from the point of view of having more than one hose which went bang over the years, and had to top up from the roadside, so reckoned in my case it would be a waste with the standard of car I usually drive, and especially with the Herald system that Johny mentions and which I'm always topping up as part of a regular service. 

21 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I was always wary of waterless coolant from the point of view of having more than one hose which went bang over the years, and had to top up from the roadside, so reckoned in my case it would be a waste with the standard of car I usually drive, and especially with the Herald system that Johny mentions and which I'm always topping up as part of a regular service. 

Thats the thing with waterless there should be no more hose bangs (or head coolant leaks either) as theres no pressure. For the same reason the rad cap never has to open to vent excess off to the bottle as the engine warms up...  

3 hours ago, johny said:

Thats the thing with waterless there should be no more hose bangs (or head coolant leaks either) as theres no pressure. For the same reason the rad cap never has to open to vent excess off to the bottle as the engine warms up...  

Hadn't thought of that, although my hoses usually wear and crack rather than explode through pressure; new ones are rubbish quality. So technically it doesn't matter what rad cap you use, either?

Just now, Pete Lewis said:

what worries me is with all these wonderful alternatives makes you ponder why on earth the engines have only lasted 50 years 

its a bit late to get paranoid about coolant

i put most in the ....Must Have    bin 

Pete

It's like the guy who bought the parrot and the shop owner told him they live to be 125, if it doesn't, just bring it back. 

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Hadn't thought of that, although my hoses usually wear and crack rather than explode through pressure; new ones are rubbish quality. So technically it doesn't matter what rad cap you use, either?

Only need a cap to stop coolant from slopping out as you go round corners! Reckon it would mean you could leave your hoses even longer Colin - any cracks you can wrap in sellotape😁

waterless coolant  waste of effort ,doesn't help with cooling issues if the basics aren't in place . if the basics are in place normal coolant is all you need, 

doesn't matter if in a $3 million dollar Ferrari 250 gto or your $ 50 scrap yard special , if anything flus system and use longlife (red)coolant and distilled water .

I wonder if our water pumps are less likely to start leaking with waterless as theres no pressure? Ive had a few seals go and of course the only remedy is to replace the complete pump (or alternatively go for the mechanical seal upgrade which I havent tried yet)....

I've come to realise that modern pumps are really only service items - replace every two years or so! In an attempt to make things last I had three of the early pumps refurbished, new bearings and seals professionally fitted, but the first one I used (about a year after they had been returned as fully reconditioned) leaked almost immediately, and so I didn't even try the other two.