cylinder head gasket id

Mack

Evening all, 

A seemingly spiralling  set of events has led me to wanting to change the cylinder head gasket.  I am unsure of it's condition but I needed to remove an exhaust stud  by welding a nut on and even though I covered the ports I want to make sure no spatter got in them. That and taking the 6-3-1 manifold off has been such I pig I don't relish doing it again any time soon.

So with the Easter weekend coming up I thought I would have a bash at it then. My question is whether there is a way to know which gasket I need (recessed or not) without taking the head off first? Just so I can get the parts ordered before then. Car is a 72 GT6 mk3.

Many thanks

Mack

By 1972, Triumph sixes were all recessed block with fire rings on the gasket. Guy your car has its original engine, it will have a recessed block.

My '72 Mk3 GT6 had engine number KE 14xxx with recessed block.

Nigel

Thanks for the replies. sorry i had a typo in my first post. My car is a 1971, engine number KE449HE. I couldn't see a tab sticking out the back of the block. Can I assume it is non recessed?

Mack

what ever do not go for a payen gasket  we had serious troubles with one on a recessed 2500

the canley supplied gasket solved the disaster.

by your engine number it seems you have a flat non recessed block and the lack of tab doubles that thought 

see 

If your still unsure Mack the KE10001 and later engines used dome top pistons to go with the new cylinder head design so you should be able to see or feel yours are flat through the spark plug holes...

Currently without a starter motor so might have to check the compression after the fact. The engine was rebuilt about 10k miles ago ( by the PO so I'm not 100% sure when) so hopefully the valves are OK!

Well it's not exactly going smoothly. Head seems to be well and truly stuck.

I have tried the double nut method to remove the studs but so far no luck, even the inner studs dont want to budge. I have ordered an impact driver and 3 jaw stud extractor so hopefully will have more luck with them!