I'm not sure my suspension is supposed to look like that

the last standard ten i worked on back in the late 60s  was fine till i put the jack thro' the hole in the floor and the floor jacked up but the car didnt  !!!!

i dont remember the trunion nipples ,i just remember this car belonged to the assistant bank manager !!!

happy days  

Pete

and the solid links are still available, we sell quite a few to the historic Formula racers.

They are a stronger alternative to the later drilled for lubrication link. In theory the drilling on the later links is a good idea as it provides a 'well' for extra oil, but in practice Triumph didn't factor in neglect by their customers which leads to them breaking because they are weaker (because they are drilled). When they dry out the subsequent rust on the screw thread leads to stress risers right in the critical area of weakness.

On 03/04/2024 at 09:36, johny said:

We had this discussion a while back Doug and I checked my originals as I thought they were solid but no theres an insert...

On 03/04/2024 at 09:37, johny said:

Think its much easier to machine right through than a dead end...

On 03/04/2024 at 10:03, Works Spitfires said:

They have always had a tin base even before their first use on Herald's. The Standard 8/10 had a nipple screwed into it to lubricate the screw thread on the vertical link. If they had left it like that we wouldn't have half the problems we have had over the years with vertical links breaking.

As I said, I really wished I'd kept them, this is always the response, but I still believe it.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

there are many simple ways to top up the oil bath trunnion but  we just fitted a grease nipple in the vertical link tapped/plugged hole and used a wanner grease gun filled with ep90 or 140 

labeled as "oil only" 

thankfully the 2000 doesnt have them but there it hangs on a nail ready for use !!!

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis