D-type rear mounting

Hi all

Before I create any extra hassle for myself(!), anyone know which way round this new rear mounting bracket goes please?  I see it has shims (washers) welded on one side as photos!

Also do I need to fit the bracket on the chassis plate before or after I drop in the gearbox?

Many thanks for any advice

Rich

image.jpg

image.jpg

As long as those washers are not necessary spacers, to clear any obstruction at the rear of the gearbox, then I'd trial-fit it first. The rubber mounting should be as vertical as possible with no stress. If you can fit the gearbox and support the rear at a height that will match the fully fitted position, then trial-fit the plate and rear mounting to see how it looks. You'll have some movement with the slots, but the rear mount can be reversed to take up any gap or to fit more vertical as required. 

Yes I think youll find that weld of the mounting support plate interferes with the OD housing so it has to be installed as in the first photo. Easy to confirm this by bolting onto the OD before installation....

• Like 1

bolt to gearbox 1st , leave the 4 bolts between bracket and frame loose .

bolt up everything complete gbox installation  but leave the 4 bolts loose ,

take car for short drive to settle everything down then do up the 4 bolts 

• Like 1

Only trouble I had was a balance weight on the front of the propshaft catching the tunnel with someone in front passenger seat, solved it by turning chassis plate over to drop rear of gearbox/overdrive.

Rear mount to chassis plate bolts are awkward to get to when everything installed, I cut a slot for a screwdriver in the nut end to let me rotate the bolt while holding the nut still.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/04/2024 at 09:28, 68vitesse said:

Only trouble I had was a balance weight on the front of the propshaft catching the tunnel with someone in front passenger seat, solved it by turning chassis plate over to drop rear of gearbox/overdrive.

Rear mount to chassis plate bolts are awkward to get to when everything installed, I cut a slot for a screwdriver in the nut end to let me rotate the bolt while holding the nut still.

Regards

Paul

I didn’t have that problem, probably because it’s a new prop which ic considerably narrower, but I did find the prop uj plate at the front drivers side is turning very close to the tunnel.  When I fitted the cover (ie the one that covers the section of tunnel removed) it squeezed the tunnel sufficiently that the uk plate was catching.  

I could turn the chassis plate over put that means removing some of the lips that give it structural integrity. 

Basically i cut out a bit too much from the sides of the tunnel meaning that I can’t screw the cover plate higher up easing the squeeze.  So I’ll take the easy option and screw the cover plate on the top only and fix it in with seam sealer which will allow it some space.  Tried the tunnel cover on and this seams to work.👍

image.jpg

IMG_2682.jpeg

IMG_2683.jpeg

Edited by rulloyd

I’ve mounted the relay hidden inside the car on a plastic plinth.  I’m presuming the body doesn’t need to be earthed, or does it? 

Many thanks for all advice

Rich

IMG_2686.jpeg