Steering Column switchgear cowls

Afternoon all. My switchgear plastic cowls have faded badly after 54 yrs, so I want to restore them. I tried T- cutting them, but no joy. So I'm guessing some sort of plastic compatible paint is required. Does anyone recommend any particular aerosol paint, i.e. plastic primer then top coat, or what?

Also, yonks ago, I bought some replacement labels for same, but can't remember if they are water-slide transfers of self-adhesive?

20240411_102051.jpg

Water slide transfers currently available, I think Paddocks have them. I never saw stick-on versions, but they would be handy.

I cleaned a few horribly faded cowlings with everything from toothpaste to T-Cut a while back, some of them responded amazingly well even to just body polish but most faded back again within a few weeks. I ended up blasting and repainting the early metal cowls, which at least keep a good shiny black finish. I think out of all the cowlings used, the overdrive version is the only one still available new.

383118761_Upsidedowncolumndecals.jpg.980f9d7d4e210cafec612573311bf6e7.jpg

Good refurbishment of plastic items can be effortful and not inexpensive. Such items can be tarted up with one-step rattle can 'plastic' products (e.g. Hycote, Humbrol, Plastickote): Reasonable finish, not particularly durable but will do for some things. Clean item, lightly key with fine Scotchbrite, spray and hope for the best.

But for a really good result I'd suggest the following:

• Key the item all over (400g paper)

• One good coat of adhesion promoter

• A light coat of primer - one pack, rattle can, will do. Black primer if the final finish is to be black.

• Scotchbrite, fine grade, all over

• Then two-pack paint (same as for body panels) . If black then the blackest blacket is Jet Black RAL 9005

• Once fully cured polish to a final finish.

Hmmmm. That's all well and good as a counsel of perfection but that's not far short of £100 just on materials (!!!!) and needs spray equipment.

Not sure I've been remotely helpful here, but perhaps it will stimulate other ideas.

Edited by chrishawley

15 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I never saw stick-on versions, but they would be handy.

I got a couple of A4 sheets of assorted stick on transfers from China, a couple of quid and free postage curtesy of the Chinese government.

They work very well, but are probably listening and monitoring, best to use lead based paint so they can't transmit. :)

Doug

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I got a couple of A4 sheets of assorted stick on transfers from China, a couple of quid and free postage curtesy of the Chinese government.

They work very well, but are probably listening and monitoring, best to use lead based paint so they can't transmit. :)

Doug

Come the big day they'll remotely immobilise your car on the road and lock you inside.