Triumph Herald 1200 Speedo Issue

oh dear, it wont a be a problem on the cable side of the magnetic drive (the metal disc assembly you can see) just the needle side but if youve got oil into the bearings theres not much more you can do. Check nothing is restricting the movement of the needle and metal disc and that its return spring is all free - you should be able to gently flick the needle (I just gyrate the entire speedo) and it kicks round nicely before coming back to zero. However in the end it could be that the bearings are shot...

1 hour ago, johny said:

Or secondhand probably cheaper but more of a gamble...

There are 'refurbished' models at £140 or so on eBay.... you can buy NOS for half that but it all depends on how they've been stored for the last fifty years. I have literally a drawerful of them, including some of the NOS models that Rimmers cleared years back for about £8 each, plus NOS white faced ones, 110 mph Vitesse ones etc, red high beam, blue high beam etc. For a time I just couldn't resist any that came up for sale at amazingly low prices then eventually realised I had nowhere the same number of cars... :)

• Haha 1

And DON'T touch the dial! Greasy fingerprints can not be got rid off, where as decals can easily transfer to your hands.

Don't ask me how I know. :wub:

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

When I replaced the bezels on my Speedo and rev. counter I used a large jubilee clip to support them whilst leveraging up the tabs. Bought closed cell black neoprene cord of eBay to replace the rubber seals, available in many diameters and used super glue to stick the ends together.

Regards

Paul.

Not having any hits with that name Colin but I used this kit and it had the same size for under the glass as for instrument to dash facia but of course a bigger size for bezel to glass... 

image.thumb.png.f84c8d73ee3cb640b48c30e1b5623e57.png

Thanks all for your input ! I may well get a secondhand one but still will tinker with this one for the time being. I'm flicking the needle and it bounces back to zero like normal but when I am actually driving, it doesn't until I flick it again. Sometimes when I take off it'll just show zero until I've reached a good 20 mph. Then it'll go up and not come down again until a flick it. It's a bit odd to say the least haha

On 16/04/2024 at 12:57, Chris A said:

not

2 hours ago, johny said:

Got him Colin but he doesnt seem to be selling anything on ebay☹️

He's away until April 22nd according to his current items for sale, but this one is still coming up in my feed? This listing is for the small gauges but he caters for the large ones too, and will supply the seals as cut lengths if you message him. However: there are still a few other sellers of the gauge seals, usually in neoprene, I just searched online for 'Smiths Gauge Seals'.

Screenshot2024-04-20at20_12_30.thumb.png.4e07a11dce9f434838358f68a7a67b76.png

• Thanks 1