GT6 covers

euan douglas

Just wanted to ask for some advice regarding car covers for a GT6.  I keep mine in a garage which is reasonably dry but I get condensation appearing on the car, particularly in the engine bay, though probably elsewhere as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to prevent this, such as using a car cover and if so then what type and are they effective?

All thoughts gratefully received.

Euan

I think a car cover in this situation will make things worse. Sounds like your garage is too well insulated! Cold air should be able to get in and warm air out. If there's no air circulation the garage will warm up during the day and when it gets cold outside there's no where for the warm air to escape and you get condensation.

Hi #again, when I looked in to this it was not so much the fact the air is being dehumidified and more the fact that air is being circulated  - My problem was the garage was just too damp being built in to the side of a hil. I suggest an experiment with just an ordinary desk fan to start and see if that resolves the problem you have

In terms of a cover it does hot stop damp air getting to the car, being breathable means it allow air to get to the car, it does not dry it on the way through the material !

Aidan

think many variety of experiences with covers with mystic powers of solving everything or nothing ,

everyone's car storage situation and problems are different ,  good ventilation is the cheapest effect , i have a good dry garage and a dehumidifier still removes 

many litres  of water a week.  mainly from a wall which is below the rise in  neighbouring ground level 

condensation sealed under a cover can give a cooking pot for rust and paint degradation , very quickly

open the bonnet is one solution to condensation from trapped moisture 

Pete

I have had similar problems with a dampish garage, and over the years have found that the most important thing is ventilation.  Normal up and over garage doors tend to have gaps at the top and sides, but I would also recommend putting a ventilation panel in the side door, if you have one.  This then means you can get a through draught.  Only downside is it make the garage a bit cold if you are trying to work in it.

Also, take what steps you can to reduce the damp, by clearing away earth that is piling up outside, checking guttering and rainwater drains are working.  But that is for a builders' forum, not TSSC!

Thanks for all the input.  Yes I have made the garage as dry as possible so it seems from all the comments that a cover is a no-no and a dehumidifier is the way to go.

Any suggestions as to make, capacity etc etc.  I don't want to spend a fortune and some of them are mighty expensive.

Thanks

Euan

You don't want the type that heats just the one that circulates air through a desiccant As Doug says pretty cheap on eBay. If it comes with an option to drain though a tube it's better as you don't have to keep emptying the tray. Mine is an 8 litre a day model

Aidan

as the construction is pre cast  have you thought about a spray over with a thompsons water proofer or similar may help the water retention in the cast sections

and a cement ramp on the insideof the door  to close any gaps and water has to go out  rather than  In

just fitted a rubber flip to the bottom of my up and over and its very effective,  but its angle ends to lock into the floor and opening is now  fully theft and owner proofed

maybe i should  raise it a little 

I have had similar problems with a dampish garage, and over the years have found that the most important thing is ventilation.  Normal up and over garage doors tend to have gaps at the top and sides, but I would also recommend putting a ventilation panel in the side door, if you have one.  This then means you can get a through draught.  

Put a grille in the wall opposite the doors, the air will blow straight through taking the moisture with it. One of those sealable ones means you can open or close the vent as required.