Vitesse mk2 standard front anti roll (11/16"?)

Gilbern3

Beware of S/H replacements that they aren't twisted ie don't lie flat one end sits up/high. My Mk2 original fitment did when removed after 50 years by 3/4 inch, I had it straightened and retempered by a spring repairer with 1/4in opposite twist to allow for settlement, a bonus is that the car now sits horizontal and level ie drivers side not low.

The Vitesse antiroll bar is quite thin at 11/16 in, I think later Spits are 7/8in and don't suffer from twisting, but a thicker bar would affect handling. 

Gilbern/Peter

I believe all the 11/16" bars have a 'built in' set, my GT6 one does and it has been discussed previously on the forums.

For many years I used a 7/8" one from a later model to try and reduce roll, but I have now uprated the rear spring and reverted to the smaller bar, which has reduced understeer. The 7/8" bar was flat.

I would be interested in having my 11/16" bar corrected. Who did you use?

Ian

W why would Triumph put a preset in the bar pushing the drivers side down/lower?

The GT6 for the American market had a spacer in the LH spring to compensate for the driver on that side

2 hours ago, johny said:

On the Herald/Vitesse to compensate for the fuel tank?

On the opposite side to the RHD driver?   Hmmmmmmmmm, wouldn't they balance?

In the US, driver and tank would be on the same side, but the spacer was a dealer option, not always fitted.   I suspect that the dealer would fit one if the customer was gravitationally challenged.

John

• Haha 1

this whole discussion about a pre formed twist in the thin bar makes no sense you dont correct body weight/leans by messing with an antiroll bar 

as said you pack the spring .

we fitted a courier spring with the fat bar set all the tracking up and the result was being on rails

any  changes in over/under steer come from the small changes in roll and the way it changes  geometry on Roll.

set it correctly and it will behave as it should 

Pete

Would be the same bar Pete as Im postulating it was to correct the stance of the car with no driver but fuel in the tank which I believe was kept on the same side in LHD cars...

Pop’s I’ve started something here?

With my Vitesse Mk2 Re tempered standard roll bar I’m happy and after a year the car is still level so it appears it’s holding it’s flatness for now!

Edited by Peter Truman

In fact I wonder if its so much that we've affected the Googles AI thingy as if you ask that it says twisted ARB is perfectly normal and Triumph did it to improve handling (with no explanation though)... 

all models the  anti roll bar had 1 part number regardless if lhd or rhd .  they are flat with zero pre twist .    ,small chassis triumphs if LHD had a packer under the LH spring part number 125441 ,   heavy duty versions like courier had 2 on the lh side and 1 on the rh side .

21 hours ago, johny said:

Just thinking the car might sit funny with no driver and a full tank of petrol so anti roll bar compensates for this? Wouldnt matter when being driven...

50L petrol weighs 37kgs. If it made that much difference I'd question the state of rear or front springing!

21 hours ago, johny said:

Triumph did some strange things and a twisted anti roll bar is cheaper than spring packers😁

Dont be ridiculous.   Rimmers sell a Herald ARB (I presume untwisted!) for £108.  You can get a spring spacer for less than £15.

Youre right when you said, "Would be the same bar Pete as Im postulating it was to correct the stance of the car with no driver but fuel in the tank which I believe was kept on the same side in LHD cars..."   but we discussed this above.

John

Edited by JohnD

Apologies for the analogy but if they're originally made flat, and twist through time and wear, I suppose looking for one with the same twist is a bit like buying a tyre with a flat bit on the bottom, to match the old one... 

I think I have one in the garage roofspace but, as always, carriage would be a problem.

21 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Dont be ridiculous.   Rimmers sell a Herald ARB (I presume untwisted!) for £108.  You can get a spring spacer for less than £15.

I meant on the original production line John. Its the same price to make the ARB with a twist as straight so works out cheaper than making an additional spacer to acheive whatever it was Triumph were thinking... 

19 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Apologies for the analogy but if they're originally made flat, and twist through time and wear, I suppose looking for one with the same twist is a bit like buying a tyre with a flat bit on the bottom, to match the old one... 

I thought new ones have been bought with a twist so the thinking is its intentional?

I suppose what I should have done was left the Thinner Vitesse ARB twisted and brought adjustable drop links so I could offset the twist.

just watched a chap in Canada fitting adjustable rose jointed drop links on a TR6

problem solved and no argument as to whether the bar was or wasn’t originally twisted!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johny said:

I thought new ones have been bought with a twist so the thinking is its intentional?

It's possible!! I've seen both so have no idea of how the twist gets there, or why it's there, or what it's supposed to do as opposed to a twist in the opposite direction, if indeed the actual direction matters. I've heard it said that the thinner ones are twisted and the thicker ones, not, but it's been debated for years and I've just found stocks online that are completely flat. I doubt very much if it's anything to do with the weight of the driver, the side of the fuel tank or the earth's rotation, but am just guessing. 

Allegedly there's a Service Bulletin about them but I've never seen it.