Recommended: "Which Oil?" book - Richard Michell

Morgana

The subtitle is: "Choosing the right oils and greases for your antique, vintage, veteran, classic or collector car".

From all the discussions on here the subject of how to choose oils, greases and lubricants available currently from specification sheets made decades ago is still of great interest.

I recommend this comprehensive book, which explains the history of lubricants and how they came to be defined; followed by what the specifications mean and how to decide which are relevant to your application, with comparisons of US and European standards. Available to order from Smith's, Blackwell's etc. or direct from the publisher Veloce here.

Here's a photographic example of the level of information contained within.

No more confusion about ZDTP or GL-5!

IMG_20240519_202047.jpg

You could well be right. I certainly heard about it from one forum or another, but a search didn't throw anything up here so it's probably my Google-fu to blame.

• Like 1

I love period literature like that, it's just a different era, but I also prefer to cut out all the palaver and do what the handbook says: Use a good 10-40w mineral oil. The biggest priority for me at present is to find one that cleans off the garage floor under the Herald.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for drawing attention to this book. I found it available quite inexpensively. The depth of detail about oils is probably more than most drivers would ever need to know, but it has the virtue of being very well-written and enjoyable in that respect alone. It's a book that can certainly be recommended.

Posted (edited)

This isn't period literature Colin - this is a new book written by an oil man. It enables you to pick an oil that will perform better than the handbook's specification, simply because they didn't have any better formulations at that time. For example he explains why a manufacturer specified a particular oil for his various cars (I think they go from a 1920s Rolls Royce to a 1990s Porsche via an Austin 7 etc.) and what properties they were concerned about when they specified it for a particular application. The Rolls has various lubricants with vague specifications like 'light' or 'heavy', but he is able to explain what he uses now and whether it has shear inhibitors in etc. How to choose which modern oil will perform the same job better and over a wide temperature range, and what to look for when choosing.

Edited by Morgana

On 20/05/2024 at 10:37, Colin Lindsay said:

The biggest priority for me at present is to find one that cleans off the garage floor under the Herald.

If someone could come up with an oil like that, or one that evaporated on contact with the floor they would make a fortune 😃

Sand.    I have a bin of builder's sand that I scatter on any spills.   It has the advantage that it forms a barrier as it soaks up the oil, confining a big spill, preventing greater contamination of the floor.    Left overnight it is easily swept up and thrown away.

For small, occasional drips, sections of carpet offcut under the offending parts, again easily picked up and into the bin, with clean hands.

John

On 19/05/2024 at 20:24, Morgana said:

The subtitle is: "Choosing the right oils and greases for your antique, vintage, veteran, classic or collector car".

From all the discussions on here the subject of how to choose oils, greases and lubricants available currently from specification sheets made decades ago is still of great interest.

I recommend this comprehensive book, which explains the history of lubricants and how they came to be defined; followed by what the specifications mean and how to decide which are relevant to your application, with comparisons of US and European standards. Available to order from Smith's, Blackwell's etc. or direct from the publisher Veloce here.

Here's a photographic example of the level of information contained within.

No more confusion about ZDTP or GL-5!

IMG_20240519_202047.jpg

I bought this on line.

An excellent book.

Thank you  for recommending it.