Ignition timing

Carba1984

No normally, as long as the throttle cable isnt too tight or the fast idle incorrectly adjusted, the engine should stall if the screws are completely undone. Then to get it to idle you have to use the screws....

1 minute ago, johny said:

No normally, as long as the throttle cable isnt too tight or the fast idle incorrectly adjusted, the engine should stall if the screws are completely undone. Then to get it to idle you have to use the screws....

The throttle cable is correct, the fast idle well adjusted, I'm clear that there's a problem with the carburetors

8 minutes ago, johny said:

So looks like air is getting in somewhere. The engine wont stall even with the stop screws undone and if you close the butterfly plates by twisting the spindles by hand?

I don’t know, I’ll check 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Before I rebuilt the SU’s on the daughtersMk2 Spit I put plastic end caps on the LH spindle end of the rear carb and one on the RH end of the front carb well it had to reduce the leakage by half!

And where did you get those caps?

Edited by Carba1984

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm back to the mess, in the summer I put the distributor at the Maximum revolutions and that's how I wear it now, yesterday I checked with the strobe gun and I see that I take it at 48 degrees BTDC, off the scale!! Is this normal? The car works well on the road

48 deg  is very not normal

can happen on the 6 cyl  if the damper ring is loose but not 

on any 4 cyl     at 48  something is  not right 

this could be a problem with the pointers rather than the base engine 

especially as you have been chasing this for too   long  

make a piston stop and check the TDC pointers are OK

Pete

Carba,

Pete is correct (of course!).   The pulley on the nose of the 6 crank doubles as a crank damper to suppress torsional vibration, not needed on the shorter 4 cylinder.    It does so by having a thin rubber sleeve between the hub and the outer ring (the 'inertia ring').

That rubber was little different from tyre rubber, and it's remarkable in the heat and oil of the engine bay that the rubber is still there!    After 50 years it often no longer works as a damper, and sometimes loses adhesion with the metal, allowing the inertia ring to  rotate.    That carries the timing marks which become nonsense.

Check that real  TDC, measured with a piston stop, coincides with indicated TDC.   If not, your pulley must be rebuilt or replaced.    Just marking real TDC won't help as the ring will move again!

John

Edited by JohnD

you can make aa piston stop by adding a bolt into and old spark plug and  fit in No1 plug hole .

remove all plugs and turn engine BY HAND to make a piston touch the stop bolt, mark the pulley

turn back one full turn to again touch the stop  and mark the pulley 

TDC is halfway between the two marks  it should tie up with your timing pointers  ????

dont forget to remove the piston stop  when you have finished or it can get expensive  !!!!

Pete

TDC  is  short for  Top Dead Centre    

ie when piston is at top of its stroke 

the timing pointers on the crank pulley and timing cover should show this but they can be wrong .

we use a piston stop to check as there is a good amount of crank rotation when the piston is at TDC  

so having two fixed positions (a piston stop) and half the marks is a very accurate way to get actual top dead centre

and check your triumph made pointers 

Pete

2 hours ago, johny said:

Exactly but remember theres a TDC compression stroke and TDC exhaust stroke and the pulley mark will show  zero degrees for both....

I'm not sure if I understand you, I have to take into account if it's compression or if it's exhaust?

When piston 1 and 4 are up they have to coincide with 0 degrees

When piston 2 and 3 are up they have to coincide with 0 degrees too

Correct?

as there is a lot of crank rotation with the piston approaches and leaves TDC a camera wont be accurate 

it will see the piston position but you cant be sure of the crank which can be way out 

there is around 10deg rotation either side of TDC with no obvious piston movement

sorry a fixed piston stop is the best way 

Pete

Buy one of these, easy to use. Take out all the spark plugs as it makes it easier to MANUALLY rotate The engine. One check to see if it's a compression stroke is to put your finger over the plug hole. You can feel the compression. Then install the stop and rotate clockwise and anti clockwise. Mark each stopped position on the pulley. TDC is half way between the two marks.

48 degrees at tick over has to be a record!

Iain

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394654047120?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=UlyIrJAdQnS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=cEUMQlgRQ_y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY