Cylinder head number location Mk2 Vitesse

Puglet1

Im thinking if a head thats too deep has been used it could have bigger combustion chambers and so reduced the compression ratio, enough to see when testing because although balanced the readings would be lower than normal🤔

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Will check tomorrow, too miserable tonight to go out to the garage

Hi Peter.

Can you also take a photo of the numbers location?

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Found it John at the front RHS number 517528, had to rub some surface rust off, only lightly stamped into the cast iron, interesting you were half right, whilst not on the LHS the stamping is pointing inwards towards the rocker cover, so easier to read from the LHS. 

Interestingly the official "Leyland Vitesse 2 Lt Mk2 Spare Parts Catalogue" doesn't list the bare head part number, but only the Cylinder Head Assembly with valves, springs etc 517609, & less valves, springs etc 517610 (I assume it has the guides).

Peter, the stamped number isn't a Part number.   It's a serial number, each is different .   There are published lists of those, when they were used etc.  but I can't give you a reference.  Chris Witor???

John

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Hi Peter.

Can you also take a photo of the numbers location?

Photo attached, tried measuring the head depth, it's very difficult on the car but looked about 80mm or 3.15in so I assume its 3.3in consistent with a 517528 spec head.

Vitesse Mk2 Cylinder Head Spec 517528.JPG

Thanks. I seem to remember that in the end Triumph wanted to use a common head for both 2 and 2.5L engines so the deeper (4.4"?) version became the common one fitted with flat top pistons on the bigger engine and domes the smaller to get the correct compression ratio. The MK3 GT6 with stamped head number 219015 is an example of this so should, according to the list, measure 4.4" and have domed pistons. Obviously if flatties were used with this head in a 2L the ratio would be lowered....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, johny said:

Out of interest Trigolf does it measure 3.3" deep as indicated in the list?

Ok Johny, as near as I can see,mine measures 83mm or 3.3".

So, I take it that we have positively identified Puglets cyl/head🤔🙂

Gav.

• Like 1

well to sum up on Puglets head, we have a cast number that the list shows as a TR250 but no readable stamped number. It also indicates this head should be very deep but that isnt the case so it may have been machined or doesnt correspond to the info given. Now we await compression figures and confirmation of it using dome or flat pistons which should give more clues ie. flat pistons + low compression all cylinders = possible wrong head

Gentleman.

Thank you ALL for your help in trying to identify why my Vitesse doesn’t have the “Zip” that my old one from the 70’s had.

I have taken the compression readings and also put an endoscope inside the cylinder.

The readings for cyls 1,4&5 are 120psi, the remaining cyls are all 115 psi. Which is massively low compared to Peter Trumans.

The  car has done a genuine 47,000miles, it has good oil pressure, it doesn’t burn oil, and sounds really sweet.

I have attached a photo of the piston area which I believe is a flat top.

I’m not sure it the head will be suitable for skimming as I guess that quite a lot of material will need removing?

Any suggestions are always welcome.IMG_0023.thumb.jpeg.8aa5c92a268e2067432788d6aaf8da4e.jpeg

It would need 0.1" off to equal a standard head which is a lot and Ive no idea if it could take it. However can you use your compression tester on another car or get a second opinion on yours?

1 hour ago, johny said:

It would need 0.1" off to equal a standard head which is a lot and Ive no idea if it could take it. However can you use your compression tester on another car or get a second opinion on yours?

That’s a good idea, I will give it a go.

3 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

The readings for cyls 1,4&5 are 120psi, the remaining cyls are all 115 psi. Which is massively low compared to Peter Trumans.

Puglet,

Compression meters are NOT precision instruments, nor are they calibrated!   You cannot compare two compression readings taken by different people with different guages, on different days ( weather) each with their own technique.

A CR meter is a most valuable bit of kit, for comparing the cylinder pressures on the same engine, on the same day, by the same person!

Yours are within +/- 2.5 psi, which is fine!

John

Edited by JohnD

3 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

The readings for cyls 1,4&5 are 120psi, the remaining cyls are all 115 psi. Which is massively low compared to Peter Trumans

Did you have the carburettor at wide open throttle? If not your reading will be low as air cannot be sucked in.

Iain

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Puglet,

Compression meters are NOT precision instruments, nor are they calibrated!   You cannot compare two compression readings taken by different people with different guages, on different days ( weather) each with their own technique.

A CR meter is a most valuable bit of kit, for comparing the cylinder pressures on the same engine, on the same day, by the same person!

Yours are within +/- 2.5 psi, which is fine!

John

Hi John.

Having looked at the bores and general condition of the engine I’m quite happy.

The whole point is the car seems really lazy under acceleration.

The engine was recently set up beautifully on Peter Burgess rolling road and runs smoothly.

However, the engine BHP is way down from standard - 88bhp as opposed to 104bhp.

I am simply trying to get it back towards the factory power or similar.

So I’m guessing that if the compression ratio can be increased and the correct cylinder head fitted it might help?

Thank you.

Pete.

When you do a compression test to convert this to the engine compression ratio I believe the formula is, there is also a correct way to measure the piston compression to get the max value.

actual cylinder compression pressure as measured by pressure gauge (psi), divided by (the piston cross sectional area (in sq) by the actual piston stroke (in)).

In my case with a piston csa of 6.79insq ( ie piston bore of 2.94in), engine stroke of 2.992 in & a compression of 188psi, the compression ratio is 9.25 QED.

Just now, Puglet1 said:

IMG_0092.thumb.jpeg.2d8019299f1d721cea88f2bc77f474c6.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

When you do a compression test to convert this to the engine compression ratio I believe the formula is, there is also a correct way to measure the piston compression to get the max value.

actual cylinder compression pressure as measured by pressure gauge (psi), divided by (the piston cross sectional area (in sq) by the actual piston stroke (in)).

In my case with a piston csa of 6.79insq ( ie piston bore of 2.94in), engine stroke of 2.992 in & a compression of 188psi, the compression ratio is 9.25 QED.

Is your vitesse a standard Mk2 2 litre?

If so, I have just applied your formula to my compression test results. 120psi divided by 6.79insq divided by 2.992. =5.91?

Something must be wrong but I don’t know what?