Lower Steering Column Connector/Union/Joint Spitfire,Herald,GT6

Hi guys, any ideas please?

My Standard 8 shares parts with her Triumph siblings - the 9/16” splined Steering Column Connector is one.

The connector consists of two cast sections containing the splines and lock bolts, joined together by a metal plate, nuts, bolts, washers and importantly rubber squash washers.

The replacements I have found on line often deemed “upgrades”, are either cast or pressed metal universal joints which by construction push the steering column into the cars interior up to an inch.

A guy on the Standard MC forum has given me a part number for the rubber (now polly) squash washers (SPF1179K), but before restoring the connector or buying one of the UJ connectors my question is:

Have any of you guys found anything better from other cars or industry?

As I am restoring a lot of the steering this last part joins everything together and I want to do it right.

Your ideas as usual would be appreciated.

Eric

I started the post and had numerous replies.

I've decided to refurbish an original joint for my Vitesse with new Supaflex poly-bushes, this will be a job for the winter though.

Gary

To DW and GF - First off thanks for your replies, the tread that DW talks of, goes a long way, I think the consensus was restoring the old one was a probably the better plan.

When you look at the steering joint in the photograph, I would say, it’s a joint was designed to do two things - to act as a mild anti vibration device and allows rotation - its in no way a universal joint.

I have seen joiners like this on equipment before, they were there to allow rotation of input shafts, take out vibration, allow for heat distortion and less accurate manufacturing.

A universal joint is different, they are designed to get rotary movement between two components which are at different angles, to say fitting a cast or pressed steel UJ is an “upgrade” would not be right - not for me, like you GF I am going for the restoration or replacement not the so called upgrade!

Thanks guys for your help, I know which way to go now.

Eric

• Like 1

Certainly on the SC Triumphs it IS a UJ, all be it one designed to only handle small differences in angle caused by manufacturing and assembly tolerances.

The angle of the upper steering shaft is set up the upper steering column mounting while the lower is set by the rack position. Sure, with really careful, time consuming positioning/packing of the upper shaft, body to chassis, and rack you might be able to get that angle perfect so a straight coupler could be used - or you can get it close and shove a cheap rubber UJ in there and have the car to the next station on the assembly line in seconds, not hours!

Hi Guys

A bit of advice please.

I have just restored the steering column UJ on my Standard 8, the UJ is the same as the ones fitted to Herald/Spitfire etc - I restored the unit by using the Polypropylene squash washers SPF1179K.

After doing this little restoration, I am really pleased with the job, most of all I am glad I did this rather than buying a replacement UJ, it looks better, it should take out vibration and I think changing the squash washers was the right way to go.

What I need your advice about relates to the earthing/bonding strap.

When I took the UJ apart I found the remains of the earthing strip, only the eye end survived under the bolts.

During the reassembly I did not have any flat cable eye ends, so I reassembled the UJ and wire locked everything, but in hind sight should I have fitted a new earth strip?

If I made up a new earthing strip, and fitted it to the UJ from the spline clamping bolt to the other spline clamping bolt, that would cross the UJ and earth the column to the steering box - I think this would do the job?

Thanks guys in advance

Eric

Technically it'll work fine. Practically I can see a couple of disadvantages as it will be slightly longer and more prone to catching/rubbing on something plus the clamp bolts are done up quite tight so may tend to squash the cable lugs...

i have seen an earth wire bypassing the uj and clamped to the shaft with a pair of hose clips 

and there have also been brackets added to the bulkhead witha brass sweeper to contact the (clean ) shaft 

so there are alternative ideas  out there 

Pete

Because the horns are permanently live.  To sound them, they are earthed, via the horn button and the steering column.

So if you have OE Triumph column U/joints, that has rubber bushes so it won't earth unless you provide a jumper across the joint.

John