Rubbing Drive shaft

markmartin

Hi, was wondering if anyone has ever had a drive shaft rub on the chassis when it is at its lowest point of travel. My right hand one has a definite rub mark around it's circumference and the chassis has signs of the paint being worn off and is rusty. The left hand side doesn't show the same ware. I am currently changing the UJ's which I have sourced fro the club shop. Had changed them a couple of years ago with ebay items but feel they didn't solve the problem with knocking. The reason i know that the shaft is rubbing is because I painted the chassis when changing the ujs last time. Or is this normal. Thanks.

Not sure what car you have, but Robsport picked up that the NS driveshaft was lightly contacting the chassis of my Mk 3 GT6 when they undertook the CV conversion. There is a very slight twist to my chassis which was the cause. The removal of a minute section of flange overcame the issue for my car - it really was a very slight rub - but depending on the extent of problem you have, you may need a different solution.

Gully

And knocking UJs are fixed with oversized circlips, worth getting some as even the best quality genuine landrover ones will click if the circlips are not holding the uj tight.

This is an issue that many owner know nothing of, and the fix is pennies and very easy, the shaft can stay on the car.

Think its pretty std that on non rotaflex that when jacked the shaft rubs the chassis seen this on many

its not unusual and wont happen when on the road, guess it depends on the variation in extended shockabsorber length which is the only restriction in the amount of axle drop.

Even when you know about really cleaning the circlip groove and giving the circlip legs a firm tap to

ensure they actually fully seated in the groove......they can pop out ......had this well know

event happen after a repair last month.....when youre convinced you have it mastered

And the little sods proove you have got it wrong Grrrrr

pete

Think its pretty std that on non rotaflex that when jacked the shaft rubs the chassis seen this on many

Happens on many of our cars if they're jacked under the chassis, the axles rest on the chassis and any turning of the wheels to replace brakes etc marks the shaft lightly. As Pete says it won't happen on the road, or shouldn't unless you do a lot of airborne driving.

Hi, Thanks for all your replies I forgot to say it's a 12/50. Have now changed both sides with club bought uj's and on the initial road test there appears to be no more knocking (woohoo). I tried the thicker circlips on the ebay purchased uj's but they didn't make a difference. Time and road miles will tell. Perhaps I over reacted a bit to the rubbing evidence and if it was happening all the time I guess I would know about it. I will post if anything develops. Thanks again.