Chroming in South Wales

Timos

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good chroming company and what i should expect to pay?, i would like to get my bumpers done, Im in south Wales but don't mind traveling a bit if i get better quality.

Thanks

Tim

I've replaced my bumpers with stainless steel.

I was a bit nervous about how they would look but I think they are fine.

I was quoted approximately £1200 for a quality re-chrome. The stainless steel bumpers were about half that price and they came with a lifetime anti-corrosion warranty.

• Like 1

I've just had my GT6 Mk 3 front bumper re-chromed (triple plate) at Castle Chrome in Dudley. I know it's not local but they did a superb job and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I rarely commission anything without checking it out first and it is a genuine small metal finishing business which I found amusing when I collected it and the chap was scratching his head, rummaging through piles of finished packages wondering where it had been put!

It's local to my work so I dropped it off and collected it, they did it for £220 cash - I didn't ask any questions as I had another quote for £400 and have heard triple can cost even more than that!   Turn around was 4 weeks but I think this is variable depending on workload. Perhaps not feasible for you but hopefully the information may be useful.

Adrian

• Like 1

Sounds like Adrian got a good deal!

Doug, I've attached some photo's which were taken for my car's insurance valuation and which I hope might show what the finish on the stainless steel bumpers is like.

I'm in South Oxfordshire, not too far away from you so you're welcome to have a look at them in the flesh (or should that be metal?).....

post-116-0-78939000-1459845686_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-56901900-1459845735_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-97693100-1459845786_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-34432900-1459845858_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-98760200-1459845861_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-24062100-1459845905_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow the stainless steel ones look really good, i thought the whole point oh having chromed ones was because stainless was to expensive! haha well I'm super keen on them now, where did you get them from? i have worked a lot with stainless steel so bit of a geeky question next, do you know what % chrome you have in those?

otherwise i think we should organise an outing to Dudley haha 

Thanks everyone for the advice

I bought them from Harringtons online. Their customer service was very good and the bumpers are a very good fit.

If you view stainless steel alongside chrome you can see a difference, but the stainless steel looks good in its own right and brings its own advantages.

I owned one of the last Spitfires in the 1980's. It was in superb condition but I really had to stay on top of the chrome work. I haven't experienced the same issues with stainless steel.

I don't know what grade the stainless steel is but I'm sure Harringtons would tell you.

If you do go the re-chroming route I agree a day trip to Dudley sounds well worth it.....

• Like 1

Very interesting flag-up, thanks for mentioning the company. Those bumpers look superb. 

My understanding is that s/s bumpers are not as knock resistant compared to chrome units; but as the company says far easier & cheaper to rectify if one should be unlucky.

From the Harrington Website:

About our Bumpers

All of our bumpers are made of stainless steel, the perfect material to produce bumpers. Our sets are replicas of the originals, so the shape, fit, and dimensions are absolutely accurate and look spot on! Plus they are far more affordable and even better than original! They are made from high grade stainless steel- polished to a mirror finish: just like chrome. A number of reasons to choose our bumpers are:

• Stainless steel (grade 304/1.4301/7) NEVER rusts or corrodes. Even if submerged in salt water for many years- it would come out needing merely a re-polish - but would be in exactly the same form as when submerged,
  • Stainless steel is a workable material, for instance if you dent chrome plated bumper- it’s very difficult and costly to repair. It needs stripping of its old chrome, beating back to shape before re-chroming. Compare this to a stainless steel bumper, if it sustains damage- it is an easy job for an experienced panel beater to beat the dent out and republish using a jewellers rouge or decent quality metal polish and an orbital polisher,
  • The tensile strength of stainless steel is tougher than that of chrome plated mild steel, which means they can withstand damage marginally better.

Our bumpers have big advantages:

• Our bumpers never rust and are backed with a lifetime anti corrosion warranty. We are happy to put our money where our mouth is on this! Just think- should your bumpers ever rust- we will send you new ones,
  • If the bumpers get dented or scratched they can be beaten back to shape and re-polished,
  • Our bumpers are made in the thickest gauge possible for enabling the pressing and forming of the bumpers in very high grade (304/ 1.4301) stainless steel. (Around 1/5 of the steel is pure Chrome),
  • Painted back - The back of the bumpers are acid etch primed and painted with ICI two pack paint in black.

• 2 weeks later...
From the Harrington Website:About our Bumpers

Our bumpers have big advantages:

• Painted back - The back of the bumpers are acid etch primed and painted with ICI two pack paint in black.

OK, I give up! Why are the backs painted black???

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1