Can anyone take my spitfire and put my engine in?

Berkshirespit

Hello

I have a 79 spitfire and, after bottom end went, acquired a restored short engine. I got around to removing the engine from the car, but life got in the way and I had to move house! So the car has no engine in it, but has the old engine and the short engine next to it. I got a favour from the next door neighbour and pushed it in his garage when I moved, but it's situation critical now. In theory all that needs to be done is for the bits from the old engine to be put on the short engine and for it to be put back in the car. However I don't have the time or space to do this anyone. Can anyone help??? The car is in central reading. I need either a garage or a man with time and knowledge and space to put it in, for a price that won't murder my limited finances. Does anybody have any ideas? I have called a garage in Corby and awaiting a price but terrified or what it will cost. Thanks!

Good suggestion from Doug. A possible alternative is Finchampstead MOT - the owner there is a classic car & bike enthusiast (the Brooklands mural on the workshop wall is a clue!) He's had a Spit and a Standard 12 in there recently but I should think 95% of his business is modern stuff. Another classic-friendly garage is Citroemech here in Wokingham, who have had an E-Type, XK120 & Mustang recently. But again, probably 95% modern stuff. With all these places round here, Beech Hill and my suggestions, it's the cost of workshop time that you need to be careful of. A classic-friendly place even a little further west could be significantly cheaper.

Richard

Yes! I should have thought of that. John, who goes to East Berks meetings earns his living car fettling, sometimes in clients garages. I don't have his number, but I know a man who does. I'll Email Mark Smith, our beloved AO, and acquire said number. 

Thank you very much. Other than cost, the main problem I have is time. I have to get it shifted out of my neighbours garage early next week really and I have to then go away for work for two weeks. Thanks for your suggestions I have sent some emails. First quote I have had back is 1000 including transportation. I look forward to hearing from your friend. Thanks again

Yes! I should have thought of that. John, who goes to East Berks meetings earns his living car fettling, sometimes in clients garages. I don't have his number, but I know a man who does. I'll Email Mark Smith, our beloved AO, and acquire said number.

Please do, fingers crossed. Thanks very much.

Hi Berkshirespit,

I've just spoken to John Palmer, he's interested and has the kit to take your car away. I'll private message you with his number, (If I can make private message work!) John thinks £1000 is excessive but it depends what else is to be done, clutch and so on.