Herald 13/60 overdrive conversion

Mackey

Hi. I have recently purchased a 1969 herald 13/60 convertible. It currently has a 3 synchro gearbox and I was considering changing it for a 4 synchro with overdrive. I was wondering a couple of things as its been 25 years since I owned a triumph so I am a bit out of touch with things. firstly - is it worth doing or will it detract the value of the car? Secondly, can you still buy conversion kits and if so where from and what sort of price would they be? And finally,if you cant buy a conversion kit what is the best way to approach this problem? Grateful for any advice. Mackey (new member)

I done the same conversion a couple of years ago and yes it is worth doing, far more relaxed on faster roads. I don't think it would adversely affect value unless you try and sell it to someone where originality is everything, I would see it as a selling point.

The traders used to supply kits, but I don't think they do anymore. I bought mine off eBay, it needs some work but is still useable, but will get sorted next winter.

Talk to Mike Papworth, he'll point you in the right direction: https://www.facebook.com/mike.papworthtriumph

Overdrive will (99% of the time) add value to the car. Plus you are making the car what you want, so don't worry about people getting picky. Or tell them it was the original factory option (not sure it was available on a 13/60, certainly was on the 1200, as was the spitfire engine, at least at one point)

Canleys used to offer conversions, they were about £1000 a few years ago. But in perspective a new prop is £150ish (vitesse non od is the correct length, get one off a 1600 and it has the correct flanges, if you go the DIY route) new mounts/plates/cables/angle drive/switches etc must be £100, then a recon box and od with no exchange?

Known good boxes seem to be £250 upwards, but beware the "untested" or "was told it was OK" type adverts. Then you may get everything for £5-600 buying a mixture of new and s/h.

That is true, it really is on the edge of acceptable, which side depends on how tight you are! I got the vitesse prop in with a single rail OD. Had to space the engine forward by an inch. But then again I needed the car the next day for work, and it was an unexpected issue.

Saying that, I drove the car for 2 years, and I think 18 years on that car is still the same (though resting in a barn somewhere in essex)

• Like 1

Fitting an overdrive is excellent conversion.  I did on my 1360 estate. I would never have a car without it now.

I have a solid herald overdrive propshaft if you are interested. It has new uj's fitted, it came from my estate so I know it is good.

cheers

Paul

Well worth doing,i put a single rail/J type box in my 13/60,also fitted a 3:63 diff.I was concerned it might not have enough grunt for the lower gearing but its fine,much better than before,and i was lucky,i took a chance on the gearbox from e bay for £120 and fitted it after only putting new oil in it.

5000 miles later and its still perfect.(i have changed the oil again periodically).

Steve

twenty five years ago I fitted a 1300 engine and a d type in my 1200. Never looked back. It runs on a standard diff so has great vavavoom.. Threeyears ago I bought a Bond GT4s with a tired Toledo engine. after a year I put a 1500 with J type in. The perfect combination, if a little lairy on corners.