What is "normal" oil consumption on a 2 litre 6?

Waynebaby

Okay - it looks as though I have a saloon 2 litre dipstick! 

Mine is long handled and measures 10 1/2 inches to the top mark and 11 1/2 to the bottom mark, meaning full on my dipstick is just above the low mark on the right dipstick. I've attached a couple of pictures below.

Thanks all for you help. I shall make some indentations in the correct places!

Gully

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Gully.

I am happy to take a photo of my Mk2 Vitesse dipstick with tape measure alongside, if that will help in anyway ?? 

As an aside question, do any / all dipsticks touch the sump pan floor ??

Regards.

Richard.

They shouldn't touch the floor. If they did then manufacturing tolerances would mean they wouldn't be guaranteed to sit properly on the top of the tube. I'd expect at least a quarter inch of clearance but I don't know the actual meaasurements.

4 hours ago, classiclife said:

Gully.

I am happy to take a photo of my Mk2 Vitesse dipstick with tape measure alongside, if that will help in anyway ?? 

As an aside question, do any / all dipsticks touch the sump pan floor ??

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks, Richard. However, Dave and Paul got in before you earlier in the thread (see Page 1) with dimensions and photos alongside a tape measure. Those, in conjunction with what my dipstick was telling me when I refilled the oil, gave me the confidence to add a new full mark to my dipstick. The clincher that I have a saloon dipstick seems to be the handle length.

Gully

Hi,

If your not leaking oil & your oil level drops after several hundred miles, you are burning it. Not enough to see though.

Where else could it go?

Rings and valve guides are a good culprit. Out of the rocker box is more likely on a good engine.

Cheers,

Iain.