how to check suspension bushes

Hi folks

Vitesse mk1 2 Litre

Have a chassis noise going over uneven road surfaces at lower speeds that has got worse over the past 2 years and now very apparent. 

Sounds something like the maybe exhaust hitting the chassis.

Never found anything obviously loose underneath the car.

Wondering what may be likely cause and also how to check suspension bushes, apart from visual checks if this may be the problem.

Have not found a clear way to do this after reading manuals and my many old car repair books.

Any advice as always much appreciated.

Cheers, Dave

You need a good lengthed pry bar, a "burglar's friend" crow bar, or even a length of pipe. Few screwdrivers will be long enough, and anyway that's misusing your tools! And maybe some pieces of wood.

Use it to lever on the suspension, with a wood pad to protect the body. There will always be some movement at a bushed joint, but excessive movement isn't difficult to diagnose.

John

Out of interest, have you replaced any of the bushes prior to the noise starting? 

And another thought, modern cars sound like they are falling apart when the anti-roll bar links wear. And I know there have been some poor new ones about in the past (rejected by the big traders, but appeared from other sellers on ebay no less!)

Cheers for getting back to me Guys.

I have not replaced any bushes except one of the front trunnion ones and no receipts came with the car for any except for rear lower shock bushes. 

Have had the car 3 years now and apart from the anti-roll bar ones that attach to side of chassis rails, they appear to be the black rubber ones.

Would like to change them all, when I have time, as they must be getting ropey surely.

Still not sure how to check the bushes, (for example the front upper wishbone) I would have thought something solid would have to be placed underneath the bush area, with a gap to be able to lever upwards.

Also I imagine the load would have to be off the suspension, in the droop position.

Any more explanations would be great please. I know it's basic stuff, but not done it before.

Cheers, Dave 

Have you swung the exhaust to make sure that it isn't the culprit?

A visual check of the bushes will let you see any apparent wear - and it can be very visible - look for enlarged holes through the middle or wear marks caused by washers etc grating against the ends. If you're testing with one wheel at a time up on a jack make sure the car won't slip if you're pulling components or pushing against them to check for movement.

Changing the bushes is wee buns, the hardest part is getting the old ones out. I went for the solid nylon type rather than polybushes and found them superb.

AR links tend to rattle on poor road surfaces otherwise they stay quiet,,     so what sets up the rattle?

just undo a link no need to remove the bar 

sometimes the AR stud rotates in the wishbone and decides that undoing is more than a 10 minute idea when jamming it up with anything handy 

turns into a now its loose and i cant undo or retighten 

have fun   

Pete

Cheers Pete

Undid the links ok. Did a couple of miles. Sounds like it's possibly better, though car makes other noises anyway, so not easy to always differentiate).

Would it be ok to go for a longer slow drive (live in a city, so slow anyway) ?.

Thinking I may buy new drop links anyway to try, as the one on the side I think the noise is coming from, is showing a split in the rubber that goes into the ball shaped bit.

What do you think please ? (got to be a bit careful what I spend on the jalopy for matrimonial harmony).

Cheers, Dave    

Anti roll is just that,   you dont have to have one, it does reduce body roll thats its job but is not a safety critcal component like brakes, steering the courier van doesnt use on, nor do many of the big saloons

there were a load made with the ends incorrectly indexed and fhess were under stress and dont last long

Anything with modern made to a price india rubber dont seem to have any life

another good place for rattles and squeaks is the top front shocker bushes, they weadlut and the shocker shaft contacts the turret, cant be seen till its removed ,
pete

dont need the shocker off  just undo the top nuts and remove the cup washer  to see if its central or worn to one side 

you can change the rubbers by just push the shaft down till its clear refit new and push shaft back up to fit the washer and nuts

dont need to jack or lever anything   the shocker shaft is not under any load  unless youre on the move having  a bounce around.

Pete