Sound identification GT6 mk1

I am still trying to identify a noise made by my GT6. I can only describe it as a grasping sound something like mud flaps grounding on tarmac

It only occurs at over thirty on bumpy roads and slightly on right hand corners. It's worse when two people are in the car I thought it was the front nearsde tyre touching the bulkhead but this has proved not to be the case. I cannot find any underneath bodywork rubbing so I'm a bit lost on this one

Has anyone had similar and found the reason and a solutin?

Thx

Aidan

Tyres on the inside of the wheel arches? My Mk1 used to have quite a wide flange at the arch lip - about an inch deep - and the rear tyres used to rub on this, in fact it used to dig large grooves into them. Check both your tyres and the inside of the arches, especially if you've fitted wider wheels than standard. I cured it by removing the Spitfire spring I was using and replacing it with a proper GT6 spring - much stiffer and less bottoming out.

Exhausts and hangers can also hit the ground but this is a more metallic sound.

Tyres on the inside of the wheel arches? My Mk1 used to have quite a wide flange at the arch lip - about an inch deep - and the rear tyres used to rub on this, in fact it used to dig large grooves into them. Check both your tyres and the inside of the arches, especially if you've fitted wider wheels than standard. I cured it by removing the Spitfire spring I was using and replacing it with a proper GT6 spring - much stiffer and less bottoming out.

Exhausts and hangers can also hit the ground but this is a more metallic sound.

Hi Colin - I will check this out but I was running on 165/80 tyres on 5J minilites and still had the problem then - changed to 175/70 to see if that helped - but no change. I guess it is possible the car is somehow bottoming out and the spring is tired, I think the noise is from the front but my wife thinks its from the rear !!

I can't / haven't any rubbing on the tyre side walls

Doug

UJ's checked out a little while ago by Mike Papworth - and one half shaft replaced at that time  - about a year ago - The sound issue was there before and still there now. plus its not constant. No noise at all zipping down the A1 for instance

Aidan

Hi Pete

It's so quick it would be almost impossible to catch As sad it's almost intermittent in when it happens but usually due to a country road pot hole. Not a massive hole but sometimes where the tarmac has dipped into the verge. A definite scrapping sound Could be rubber on metal rubber on tarmac or even metal on metal if it was coated in something I just can't seem to find the consultant scratch or worn area

Aidan

One area for hidden scraping and scratching is the front shocker centre stem rubber has deformed and the shaft is fouling the hole in the turret, easy to whip the top nut and washer off and look at the

fit , theres a small useless shoulder on the bush which should keep the bush central In the turret hole

pete

Hi Ben

That is certainly possible - How would I tell though? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thx 

Aidan

I am working on Vitesse experience but try spraying or smearing some WD 40 or rubber grease on the rubber seal and the cones.  

Pete

I will check that out. If it's not straight what's the solution? Will anything have been damaged?

Ben

Sorry can you give me some more direction on this. Where abouts are these cones?

Thx

Aidan

the cones are under the rear edge of the bonnet  no 9   and sit in a cup on a brkt fitted to the baulk head 

early had a canvass and wedge arrangement not a rubber cone and cup  ,

the cones can be adjusted for length and its got a big hole with a penny washer to allow lateral adjustment the cup is also on slotted 

gt6early_plate_bw.jpg

Thanks Pete,

Aiden, It may pay to track down a local member and take him as passenger noise spotter or perhaps there is a local meet near you that could possibly help.

If something is rubbing it would normally leave a shiny mark somewhere. 

Thanks Pete,

Light bulb moment on the "Cones", Now I know what's being talked about, the cones I replaced about six months ago to poly ones as the bonnet was not sitting correctly aligned. Its probably not this then as the noise was there before and after the change - but I will have a play bouncing on the bonnet to see if I can replicate the sound. As BEn says though, another pair of ears from the club may well be the route to finding the source

I will take a look at the bush, If I remove the top centre bolt can I replace from there if I jack up the car or do I need to strip the suspension down?  I was going to do this in nthe winter as my next project as allthe  bushes are pretty old in the front suspension - possibly original or at least from the 1980's!

Aidan

Pete, I miss-read you advice as "rigorous exercise ON the bonnet" nearly choked on my cornflakes.

I had a visible vibration (but no sound) on my bonnet.  I cured it by adding a length of door rubber on the bonnet lip to butt up against the bulkhead, out of sight and no more vibration.

the top shocker bush .. just undo the two nuts , no jacking nothing to disassemble  do it car on ground  theres no real load on the shocker spindle if it drops and disappears  just pull it back up  with fingers , if you ever have to  dont grip the shaft without some decent protection

or you mark it and then it leaks 

Pete

HA Confused me again - Two nuts? until I just looked at the parts diagram! - I am pretty sure mine has just got a nylock nut on and not two separate ones! So No:64 is the thing I should be investigating then  Thx

gt6early_plate_al.jpg

Nothing wrong with a nyloc most modern versions would have one nyloc

yes theres 2 64's one on top and one under the turret face, , if you do need to change them to get the lower one out just push the spindle down thro' the hole remove rubber and fiddle it back up to fit the top one , the nut screws down to a shoulder so only needs a good nip,

there should be a flat on the spindle end to hold with adjustable spanner

pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben

Well yes and no!!

I have been able to minimise the noise by changing the tyre size from 185/60 to 175/70. The tyres needed replacing any way. The noise still occurs but only in certain circumstances where I think the suspension is bottoming out or getting close to that point. I am planning a front suspension rebuild this winter with new springs shocks and bushes so am hoping this will finally stop the remainder of the noise and the squeaks I also get.

By the way does anyone know what quality shocks I should use? Don't particularly want adjustable ones but there doesn't seem to be anything else on the market without breaking the bank and are not more expensive than adjustables

Aidan