GT6 Tyre to Bulkhead interference

I have just bought a "restored" GT6 Mk3 and am finding some horrors like greased trunnions, "slotted" wishbone holes and front tyres fouling the bulkhead on lock - all despite an advisory free MOT cert.  I have no previous experience of Triumph foibles and desperately need guidance from those with the knowledge.

The car is on 175/70R13 Tyres, in what combination of circumstances could these foul the bulkhead ?  The road wheels look to be standard with no spacers but are not marked  as 4.5J.  The coil springs appear to be new but as I have no build history I do not know if they are standard height or lowered versions.

Could spacers or collets have been omitted from the coil spring/shocker assemblies when they were rebuilt ? 

Any suggestions will be avidly pursued.

there are other posts around here about tyre fouls,

if the shockers are std then the pad is fixed , no spacers or collets

things like the wishbone pivots can get assembled upside down wrong handed etc this can really upset the castor and wheel positions  

as can accident damage.

on a simpler note the rack may not be centralised and you get excessive lock angles,    when does it foul  ???

on bumps or on lock 

your tyre size is correct   

do the springs have any colour coding or anything other than black ??

• Like 1

Thanks Pete,

On left turns, the nearside wheel fouls on the slightest lock and it has got worse in the few miles I have driven it, as if the ride height is settling.  That side has the slotted wishbone which is being replaced.  Looking at the offside there is the slightest mark on the bulkhead to suggest it has been lightly touched by the tyre at some point.

As far as I can tell the springs are plain black.

i would only guess someone has slotted the wishbone bracket ?  to adjust some factor  why ??  who knows

It really should not  settle down that much 

I would have a carefull look at the pivot brackets on the chassis rail , these do get fitted often incorrectly 

theres an up and down that must be adhered to and the turret has some  limited adjustment on its chassis fixings 

there could be a packing on the turret  inner chassis mount bolt to take up any  tolerance gaps .

if this was needed and missing you tilt the turret or have a gap you dont want.

if you do any geometry measures  look at the spec, many need 150Lb on each seat some GT6 spec shows unladen

but all you need is a two bricks to support a plank above the tyre bulge and a tape masure across the planks may need spare pair of hands or ....................come and see me i have all the proper gear to set it up.  

dont forget if you have joined the TSSC you get a first insurance valuation free  I can do that locally or come to duxford  and join the queue  its important this is in place .

Pete

• Like 2

is the slot man made or wear through being loose,    

unless someone misguided was attempting to change the camber  its a serious No NO 

I think an independent MOT by yourself is worth doing when youre happier about the front end

was the car from a trader or buyer beware private sale

Pete

Many thanks to everyone for the various suggestions which we are currently working through.  Tony is working late in an effort to get the suspension and carbs in at least a state safe enough to take the car to Duxford.  

Unfortunately not to be, GT6 still with suspension partially stripped out and CDSE carbs awaiting attention to stop the over-rich mixture to cylinders 1 to 3. 

if the front carb is over rich , 

then 

temperature compensator is troubling

the choke is passing excess fuel

the diaphragm is split

the float needle is blocked or not seating

there are no ) rings in the jet body to leach fuel out 

float  fitted upside down ( yes  possible  if it has two float arms )

if you remove the piston the fuel should be a few mm visible below the jet orifice

air cleaner blocking the front face ports 

and then head scratching starts 

come to duxford in a modern its allowed , bring a copy of the advert ( if you ask nice theres some in the kiosk )

Pete

pete 

if the front carb is over rich , 

then 

temperature compensator is troubling

the choke is passing excess fuel

the diaphragm is split

the float needle is blocked or not seating

there are no ) rings in the jet body to leach fuel out 

float  fitted upside down ( yes  possible  if it has two float arms )

if you remove the piston the fuel should be a few mm visible below the jet orifice

air cleaner blocking the front face ports 

and then head scratching starts 

come to duxford in a modern its allowed , bring a copy of the advert ( if you ask nice theres some in the kiosk )

Pete

pete 

I will be at Duxford in a modern.  I have now received my Membership pack from Angie but my newspaper subscription allows me two people for the price of one entry to IWM museums so I might take advantage of that and enter with Joe Public. 

Well, I'm not sure what's wrong but, that flexible brake hose is too tight!

Is that a drilled hole in the chassis in front, of the front, lower wishbone? What's it for? Should the whole thing be mounted further forward?

Yes Doug It looking a bit taut , its on max deflection hanging but thats not good

needs a few more mm of hose

Pete

Thanks for the brake hose comments - have now ordered a pair of new hoses.

Doug Pro active sales ideas dont get any comision , ive tried that , doesnt top up the pension

And no greenshield stamps

Pete

My thanks will give you both credit in Triumph heaven.

We have now found that the steering rack adjustable clamp plates are missing !  Instead of just replacing them, I have ordered the steering rack solid mounting kit, oh, and a new accelerator cable to replace the slightly frayed existing one.

be carefull with solid mounts , there is under (or should be ) a small plastic anti rattle plug in a hole in the tube

held in by the rubbers,  many solid mounts leave this exposed and ot falls out

a jubilee clip works , 

part is 145108  Canley and Moss show it    should it  be  missing

throttle cables get a push bike rear brake cable ..  its long enough to make 2

does need a solderless nipple at one end 

cheap and  much better

Pete