Spitfire 1500 Rocker spacer kit.

DerekS

Evening all. On page 109 of the October edition of Practical Classics, Gary Stretton is setting up a TR3 engine and makes mention of a rocker spacer kit that does away with the standard springs to eliminate any deflection when the engine is running. I have noticed this happening with mine and am sure that it's a source of noise. He sourced his kit through David Manners; while I am waiting for their response, I had a quick look at the Moss site and they keep a similar kit, part number TT1318. The more I think about this idea, the more I like the sound of it. Has anyone else used this, please?

( I am NOT going down the route of roller rockers or the dreaded external oil feed...)

I wonder about the cost, yes, never thought , quite possibly. Particularly bearing in mind that the cost of producing the likes of these must be a lot less now with CNC's etc rather than some poor soul with his back bent over a lathe.

I bet it was loud, been there, could have got these made at one time.. Happy days indeed!  But I suppose this goes back to them being that much more affordable now (pro rata) though, at £13 odd a set, it wouldn't really be worth calling in any favours now.

Thread drift alert!

the days when a chat in the toolroom got wonders performed  for a coffee or a beer  in the club house 

most large factories and manufacturers had a complete social package which  was never valued  when they closed down. 

everything from tiddlywinks to rally cars, football teams to brass bands  it was all in place and thrown away.

we had a better Britain ...it wasnt valued  correctly now we have yobs mugging and smart phone texting as a life style

Hmmmm   getting an olde fart   who said thread drift   !!!

Pete

Hello Derek

I modified my Spitfire earlier this year to solid spacers.

I did not buy a kit from Moss for 2 reasons I did not fancy plastic spacers(I am sure they are perfectly ok) and I have a lathe and some Phosphor bronze so I made my own by just assembling without  springs and measuring the gap(so no shims needed)

It seems to have made it a bit quieter but I did replace the rocker shaft at the same time!

I also did it because it is reckoned to keep the oil in better in the rocker arms.

I have done about 7000+ miles with no problems.

Roger 

• 2 weeks later...

An update on this thread. I didn't get a response from David Manners about the spacer tubes, so I fired off an email to Moss, late yesterday. There was a brilliant reply from Moss early doors this morning by the guy who wrote the fitting instructions, very helpful indeed. He confirmed that the spacer tubes and shims are made from steel.

• 1 month later...

A further update to this thread. I finally found the time to get this job done. The instructions that come with the Moss kit are very clear. I also ordered new Thackeray washers for the end arms. As it turned out, a new rocker shaft was needed and Moss came up trumps with a new one delivered the day after ordering and, more to the point, dead on size, as in not one thou out! The engine is definitely quieter for the work. Roger has makes an excellent point about the oil being retained, too. I am thinking that by keeping the rocker arms in position this must help maintain pressure within the rocker shaft, harder for the oil to escape which helps feed the front arms.

P.s. maybe shouldn't say "came up trumps" now...

Interesting thread, a belt and braces solution but wouldn't replacing the springs have done the job, at least for another 40 years? 

There's a place near Cambridge called Trumpington, I guess there used to people taking the micky, but they're in a whole new ball game now.

Pete, only makes you unpopular if the others know it's you...

Doug, yes, you're right but the idea of solid spacers appealed. The springs I took off hadn't a lot of strength left at all.

P.S. Schoolboy humour about farting in lifts, there's a brilliant moment with Peter Sellers in a Pink Panther film sneaking one out in a lift, very, very funny indeed. Can't remember which film sorry...

Derek, yes! Seen it! Several times, brilliant.

I've had trouble with springs over the years. Road springs squashed into submission by the previous owner's boat bouncing up and down on the tow bar. Windscreen wipers that just stir the water on the screen. Changed the springs, sorted! Nobody thinks about springs!

The downside of grandchildren, you catch everything.

Do what it says on the bottle, take two tablets and keep away from children.

Re Pete's post - the large factories and their amazing social networks may have largely gone, but the benefit of having an engineer father / brother in law with their own milling machine and lathe-filled workshops is that you get amazing things done over a cup of tea in their kitchen..... I've lost count of the number of small parts that I've appeared with that have been replicated, perfect in every detail, over the years.

• 3 years later...
On 01/10/2016 at 14:23, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Derek

I modified my Spitfire earlier this year to solid spacers.

I did not buy a kit from Moss for 2 reasons I did not fancy plastic spacers(I am sure they are perfectly ok) and I have a lathe and some Phosphor bronze so I made my own by just assembling without  springs and measuring the gap(so no shims needed)

It seems to have made it a bit quieter but I did replace the rocker shaft at the same time!

I also did it because it is reckoned to keep the oil in better in the rocker arms.

I have done about 7000+ miles with no problems.

Roger 

Rodger,

RIMMER makes their spacer kit out of aluminum.

Robbie