Seized short head stud

Gadgetman

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/tool-connection-tc3986-impact-stud-extractor/

had one of these for years, more ££ but withstands amazing forces

used this on dougs stuborn GT6 studs my 330 lbft impact wrench normally wins but we had to use a 3 ft breaker bar to shift the sods with both of us on the hernia test gee whizz tight or what !!!!

one wonders how a 7/16 stud can be so determined to stay put

pete

51dy%2B5yfcgL._SL1000_.jpg

are the best in my experience - you can use a lot of force .  The other style will fail if you use a lot of force because the stud is stuck in the head. I was recently dismantling an old GT6 engine and used a draper style which broke when the bearing inside forced the other component inside to change shape and stop gripping.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/tool-connection-tc3986-impact-stud-extractor/

had one of these for years, more ££ but withstands amazing forces

used this on dougs stuborn GT6 studs my 330 lbft impact wrench normally wins but we had to use a 3 ft breaker bar to shift the sods with both of us on the hernia test gee whizz tight or what !!!!

one wonders how a 7/16 stud can be so determined to stay put

pete

265DA522-B3E3-41D3-B058-A7B556D5B394-lar

Pete style impact extractor

One wonders why the stud did not break under that sort of attack.

Its was certainly attacked , and it certainly didnt wreck the studs , the grip on the short exposed thread

took some serious indentation

we began to wonder if the engine was coming out with them, it makes little sense

but one heck of a crack when they let go, all were the same , none were corroded, all looked good as new, and no there were not re used

Pete

Wot Pete says is true, I know, I was there! :lol: I had previously tried the Sealy tool, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-VS7232-Stud-Remover-Installer/dp/B00360YQGU  lent by a neighbour, I had no success  with it. It bites the stud thread on one side only and slips, where as, Pete's impact extractor bites on three sides and won't let go.

I'm told tightening works, particularly with studs as they are not supposed to be very tight in the block and so can take a little more. There is no torque for stud to block tightness in the manual and I was told by some to only do my new studs finger tight!

I suspect the problem with mine was the re-bore I had done 30 years ago. I'm guessing the studs were taken out to facilitate the re-bore and put back far too tight. This can easily damage the block, I think JohnD has that T shirt?  

So Gadgetman, when you put them back, Pete told me "Just nip them in".

Indeed, one block ruined by an under-reading torque wrench, so nip them up!

The TR manual cites 60lbs-ft, and my wrench was adding 30% to that.

And yes, try to turn the stuck bolt/stud both ways, tighten/loosen.  The movement may be small at first, but work it, all the way out.

It's like using a tap - the swarf must be cut out by a reverse turn to continue, else it gets jammed.     Like swarf, there is 'stuff', corrosion or whatever in the threading, and to and fro turning will help redistribute it.

If the bolt/stud starts to squeal as you turn it, STOP!

Reverse some way, lubricate, continue with the to and fro outwards.

The squeal is a sign of binding, and if you continue the bolt may fail - possibly again!

John

PS and check your torque wrench every year!

Just a thought,but have you tried hitting the stud? Not sledgehammer, but a medium hammer and light (ish) tapping on the end?

I find tapping is a really useful aid to undoing difficult nuts/bolts/studs. And not just one hit, it needs a lot, but nothing hard enough to cause damage.

I would then heat and try the extractor. Maybe a few hot/cold cycles may help? 

• 2 weeks later...

The stud is out.....

I used the Laser Tools extractor Pete recommended with a impact wrench but before hand I made a dam out of plasticine and filled it with penetrating oil and left it to soak for 48 hrs. With a few lbs ft (or NM for you metric types) from the impact wrench out it came!

Thanks for your help guys.

post-1269-0-52208500-1480013225_thumb.jpg

post-1269-0-34379300-1480013233_thumb.jpg