Poly Bush Front Shock

I have been changing the suspension bushes on my Vitesse to polyurethane, a well known make, all have fitted ok up to now. The front upper shock absorber bush as fitted is to big to go through the hole in the front turret.

My option seem to be as follows.

Fit it back and see if the weight of the car pushes it through, I do not feel it would be a good idea to try and pull it through with the three top plate studs as they are quite small.

Remove the turret and enlarge the hole, there would be plenty of metal left to support the top plate.

The number cast onto the bush shows it has been correctly supplied.

As this is a common upgrade I do not feel I am the only one to have this problem, or is it a challenge these days?.

Regards

Paul

Any chance of a photo?

the weight wont do much you are only looking at the shocker spindle damping loads the shocker only loads this bush when fully extended on a jack etc? On the floor there is no load on the shaft

Dont leave it hanging off a jack you need the suspension semi loaded or the shocker will seem too short

Have you tried fit the cup washer and underside bush and raise the shaft through it then fit the top bush and cup washer

pete

The only way to fit as you suggest would be to use hook type spring compressors, I do not have any as have never trusted them.

Refitting the shock absorber then jacking up under the bottom wishbone might push the top bush through the turret hole as it is above the spring top plate.

Regards

Paul

I don't think the bush is supposed to go through the hole. Rimmer's diagram, below shows two bushes, one above the plate and one below.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID007841

The kit from the club shop has four bushes, two per side?

https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/front-suspension-polybush-kit-1116-anti-roll-bar-0

Or have I got it wrong, again? :lol: 

the bush should have a spigot/shoulder that centralises the bush in the turret hole 

top and bottom are the same theres a simple cup washer sits either side of the bush and the shocker shaft has a register/stepped thread to 

control the amount of squash when you tighten the nut,   

the shocker shaft only has any load on it in the off the deck or off the car position and the spring length is restricted by the shocker being fully extened,  on the road  or with the suspension jacked  there is no load and you can push pull the shaft quite easy, just some damped loading

if the shoulder wont fit thro the turret theres a basic  dimensional problem with the bushes 

just some ramblings

Pete

Thanks found your post same problem, have spoken to the supplier who stated that he has fitted them and the only way is on the car. Fit the lower top bush, cup washer and spring plate hold the spring in tension how ever you feel safe. Fit the unit to the car jack up under lower wishbone to compress the unit and fit top bush and cup washer. not in my opinion ideal working practice.

Thank you all for your reply's.

Regards

Paul

That seems like a good plan. I found when refitting the unit that it was easiest to install the top end of the unit first and fully tighten the three retainer cap nuts, using a jack under the bottom of the shock to "help" it into position. This brings the bottom of the unit into the right orientation to lever into place in the lower wishbone. 

Regards

Wayne