Loctite

AidanT

Hi all

There have been loads of mentions of this stuff on various threads.  

As I am new to this product, I would be grateful to know if there is a similar product that will enable a bolt to be tightened but will also allow it to be removed and so is not a permanent fix

Thx

Aidan

My door locks were fitted some time ago by a proverbial gorilla and two of the three machine screws / bolts on both sides do not tighten. This will hopefully be the last time I will be removing them to solve / replace the door locks The aftermarket ones I fitted a few years ago have worn badly. I have been unable to get replacement barrels.

Anyway door locks need to come out again hence I want to be able to put them back in better than they will come out.

Sorry for the long winded explanation

Aidan

Hi Pete do you know what sizes of countersunk set screws were used on triumphs? I would like to buy a mixture as they are very expensive when you buy small quantities. Do you know any suppliers that would make up an assortment or that already sells such a set. There are a few that sell bolt sets for the cars

Aidan

Heres a wee tip for ye,

the small bolts, nuts ont lock, are awkward t,get at,

Butt, drill a hole int door, and a 1/4 drive socket will fit thru, and its alott lottt easier

getting at them this way, than bending dubble, an twisting yer wrist  around in a confined spot

they should be studs in them, not bolts

if some ones replaced studs wid bolds, then try an go back to studs,

and, a small Nyloc will suffice

M

M,   thats a good point about the studs,  theres a good chance the bolts have bottomed out and thats stripped the mazack casting

always useful  keep a look out in aldi lidl for cone cutter or step drills   great for making the holes you need for easy access.

places like screw fix do them as stock but 4 times the aldi prices 

A bit of thread drift here, but Pete (or anyone) do you have a decent copy of the Standard Triumph Hardware catalog?

I don't know if anyone has done this, but I was thinking it would be useful to cross match the Spare parts catalog with this so that you would know the sizes of the parts the Spares catalog refers to. 

In that way you could order a kit of parts for specific jobs from places lile namrick rather than paying through the nose on eBay for a new nuts and bolts

Aidan

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht381-3pc-hss-stepped-cone-drill-set/vailable

available in many places

Cone cutter cuts a hole tomthe depth of somewhere up the cone

stepped cutters have sized cutting diameters arranged from small up in a cone shape to large so

one tool can makenholes from eg 8mm up to 20mm

needs a battery or power drill to spin tehm,

they make a neat smooth bole thro sheet metal great for grommets etc better than a nasty hole saw

but the box sets in aldi when stocked are only a few £ and last for ever

thees things, Petes link no come up.

get em in sets of 3, last ones in Aldi 3.99

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=step+drills&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-xoub_avSAhUGBMAKHZVMAM0Q_AUICSgC&biw=984&bih=573&dpr=1.25

its well worth cutting extra bigger holes int door

they hidden by door card any way

BUTT, pent egdes after yer done,

keeps the dredded rust at bay

where 724192 goes, they are studs, same as mine

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Triumph+spitfire+door+handles&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGtJLq_avSAhVKDsAKHUq7ChsQ_AUICCgB&biw=984&bih=573#imgrc=eqtzkLVbVjfrVM:

M

M

Aiden,

The other solution for stripped threads is helicoils, which the club shop stocks, refer to page 50 of the current catalogue. A better option than using metric fixings and at least you keep the car with the original size fixings.

Hi

Thanks, that may well be the route I will be going down.

I have purchased a UNF / UNC tap and die set which i needed anyway. i was going to re tap at the same 1/4" size to see if that makes a difference, but if that does not help I will contact you for a a selection of helicoils.  This is not the only place I have this problem - some of the set screws holding the catch plates are also in the same condition

Thanks again as I didn't know the club has these

P.S. Can you comment on the GT6 Hi Torque starter thread I started Garth? I purchased this from the shop. There is a comment on there regarding drain hole issues  i couldn't see any but...

Thx

Aidan