Dash Cam

Paul H

Dash cams record in three minute snips. A go pro would be a better bet. You can get cheap ones of amazon that do the job

Thanks Mishmosh - I hadnt thought of the GoPro solution - I will check out 

Best regards

Paul 

Go Pro are certainly more hi-res than dashcams, so well worth getting; however I've recorded trips through Europe and Greece on a standard camcorder fixed to the dashboard of the car. My JVC version records for a full 8 hours in HD and they're very cheap these days, having been surpassed by phones and other more modern gadgets. Some Go-Pros can give a very fish-eye type of view so be careful which you go for. With camcorders, I prefer the removable card ones as opposed to the hard-drive versions, this one is on eBay for £20 at present so a good price for occasional use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-EVERIO-G-SERIES-CAMCORDER-GZ-MG130EK-Hybrid-HDD-or-SD-card-/222433252998?hash=item33ca0e1686:g:GGIAAOSwSlBYv-jn

Go Pro are certainly more hi-res than dashcams, so well worth getting; however I've recorded trips through Europe and Greece on a standard camcorder fixed to the dashboard of the car. My JVC version records for a full 8 hours in HD and they're very cheap these days, having been surpassed by phones and other more modern gadgets. Some Go-Pros can give a very fish-eye type of view so be careful which you go for. With camcorders, I prefer the removable card ones as opposed to the hard-drive versions, this one is on eBay for £20 at present so a good price for occasional use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-EVERIO-G-SERIES-CAMCORDER-GZ-MG130EK-Hybrid-HDD-or-SD-card-/222433252998?hash=item33ca0e1686:g:GGIAAOSwSlBYv-jn

Hi Colin - thanks for info, Ive got a camcorder and it never crossed my mind it would suit the purpose - Any ideas how to attach to the dashboard or body 

Best regards 

Paul 

I had been thinking along the same lines as Paul but what I keep coming up against is the mounting issue, and not least how much of the windscreen in a GT6 gets blocked off by one; it could be even worse with a camcorder.  I have a roll cage that may provide the answer using the diagonal strut, as long as the distance from the screen does not distort things too much.

Dick

Velcro works - the self-adhesive variety attaches to the flat bottom of the camcorder and the dashboard, and peels off without any damage. You may find that it will focus on the inside of the screen UNTIL you start to move then it focuses on the scenery or road. I have some great footage of the Attiki Odos and across the Corinthian Isthmus using one.

Velcro works - the self-adhesive variety attaches to the flat bottom of the camcorder and the dashboard, and peels off without any damage. You may find that it will focus on the inside of the screen UNTIL you start to move then it focuses on the scenery or road. I have some great footage of the Attiki Odos and across the Corinthian Isthmus using one.

Hi Clive , thanks for info and going down the camcorder route , currently looking a mini bean bag - small bag with wheat grain which acts as a cushion and holds the camcorder in place . I will do some tests and advise progress . The cushion will lift the camcorder as my vitesse dashboard slopes forward and is below the view line for the camcorder . I had forgotton about the camcorder and it still works !! plus it can take individual photos as well although only 1 meg and a bonus is it has a remote keypad 

Regards

Paul

The Mk1 version of the onboard Camcorder stand  is ready for testing . I used a scrap piece of white plastic soffit board, painted black - The soffit board was lined with 3mm sound deadening foam . The height is now fine for the camcorder to view through the windscreen. The Soffit board fits snugly against the the rubber extrusion by the window and locked in place with a strip of velcro at the front of the dashboard

I found an old tripod release plate which screws into the camcorder base and in turn slides into 2 toilet accessory fittings and all firmly locks in place - sounds very Heath Robinson but may just work . The pics explain what Ive done 

Paul 

The Mk1 version of the Camcorder stand  is ready for testing . I used a piece of white plastic soffit board, painted black - The soffit board was lined with 3mm sound deadening foam . The height is now fine for the camcorder to view through the windscreen. The Soffit board fits snugly against the the rubber extrusion by the window and locked in place with a strip of velcro at the front of the dashboard

I found an old tripod release plate which in turn slides into 2 toilet accessory fittings and all firmly locked in place - sounds very Heath Robinson but may just work . The pics explain what Ive done 

Paul 

post-1431-0-91617400-1489857615_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-44137700-1489857632_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-43347300-1489857649_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-84137000-1489857665_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-51110100-1489857984_thumb.jpg

It is rather, well, big. :lol:   I wonder if the constabulary would object? It is an offence to obstruct the driver's view out the windscreen and they can nick you for it.

Hi Doug , there is no obstruction to to the windscreen view its just the way i took the pics , the profile is less than a sat nav which would be attached to the screen 

Paul 

It is rather, well, big. :lol:   I wonder if the constabulary would object? It is an offence to obstruct the driver's view out the windscreen and they can nick you for it.

Not that big really, and it's in the space between the vents so well out of the driver's line of sight. As bivvyman says it's less than the footprint of a sat-nav. If the side screen is kept closed and against the body it's smaller still and there are no grounds for complaint ie distracting the driver.

Not that big really, and it's in the space between the vents so well out of the driver's line of sight. As bivvyman says it's less than the footprint of a sat-nav. If the side screen is kept closed and against the body it's smaller still and there are no grounds for complaint ie distracting the driver.

The secret is to get the camcorder as close as possible to the dash board . because my dashboard slopes down I had to use a board 

Paul