Gearbox Tunnel cover

trigolf

Hi all,

I see that a plastic gearbox cover is now available for the Vitesse/Herald. A few years ago I spent a lot of time trying to get a fibreglass version to fit properly and soundproof it. Even after all that it wasn't brilliant. Is the fit of the plastic version that much better ? I'm guessing that the plastic version helps  'damp' the row from the gearbox better too, even before you fit extra soundprooofing etc.

Question  - is the plastic version worth the money, when compared with the fibreglass one ? 

Thinner material so more mouldable to fit your panel gaps, and hopefully a better shape than some of the older fibreglass versions. I was debating one myself for my Herald but might just recycle the original cardboard version... so the jury's out on that decision, but I've seen the plastic ones and they look ok. I just haven't fitted one yet.

Hi 

I fitted a plastic tunnel in my 2500 spitfire (gt6/vitesse tunnel I believe) a couple of months ago. It seems to be a good fit.

The only thing I did was to trim the lip at the edge of the flange to almost flush. I didn't use a gasket on the tunnel, I covered the floor/bulkhead with a self adhesive foil backed heat/sound insulation foam  and the tunnel bedded in to that. I put the same insulation in the tunnel.

I also made an access panel in the side of the tunnel for topping up the gearbox oil. (gearbox leaks a bit)

20 + years ago I used the thick plastic cover on the wife's Gitfire. She had the car for over 12 years and many miles, the cover gave no problems. You need to seal the cover down to prevent hot air coming in from the engine. Just make sure you get the thick type. The thin type handles like a jelly when you try to fit it.

Dave

I have new telephones, they have BIG buttons. Pensioner buttons is what they mean, for fumble fingered old dodderers! I wonder if you can get pensioner keyboards? They would, of course, be about 3 foot by 2 foot, so probably not.

When typing on my lap top the second half of my sentence has the irritating habit of jumping back half way through the first half. "Your brushed the mouse pad Sir"  "No I bloody didn't!!!!!"  It's a software bug on this model, when are you going to sort it out?!!!!!"

Pete, you are not alone, do you have any pills to spare?

I only take pills on mondays to avoid thread drift on tunnels foam and rubber

just to make sure they get me in wonkie mode

on the old forum had the red leather club now we progress to the old wonkie club Ha !

but thats better than slippers and pom poms ....with zips or velcro grrr.

pete