Any good options to insure my 18 year old on my Spitfire?

Andy Mackenzie

It's a MKIV with 1493cc engine.  She has a modern car (smaller engine, nearly twice the weight but considerably faster than the Spitfire :o) and is the policy-holder on that.  Just been quoted £1500 by Peter James, which rather rules it out.

i was expecting as much, after the changes a few years back when they stopped insuring anyone under 25.  Has anyone found this cheaper?  Have any of our younger members found a good broker or underwriter for this type of risk?

She'd like to to do a few local journeys in the Spit over the summer and I'm keen to encourage the interest, but clearly not being insured will be something of a disincentive!

Thanks, 

Andy

Hello Andy.

The main "issue" is that your daughter (hope I have got that correct) has an existing insurance policy which means that any NCB will be linked to that; thus any separate policies will incur the full whack of an insurance quote.

It may be worth seeing if the modern and Spitfire could be linked to a multi-car policy; this may negate the separate premium required for a second vehicle - classic or otherwise.

If you are a TSSC member there is a number of insurance companies on their Insurance Panel list - so it will be worth phoning them individually to see if they can assist.

Not being a member your best recourse will be to contact a classic car broker such as Carole Nash (CN) and they can sort the best deal on your behalf. I use CN and find them very good indeed.

2x companies that may also be able to assist and most certainly worth calling is: Peter Taylor www.peterstaylor.co.uk and Hagerty www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk

I hope the above may be of assistance.

Good luck.

Richard. 

Given that the car isn't actually yours, and she has a car of her own and insurance in her own name surely the simple option is to add your daughter as a named driver on your policy.

Apologies if I have misunderstood the circumstance.

........ Andy

Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify, £1500 was to add her as a named driver on my policy.  I have a TSSC member's policy with Peter James - nice area, clean licence, no claims for 30+ years and an old fart as policyholder.  PJ tell me that my current underwriter wouldn't touch it for a named driver under 25.  PJ have one underwriter that will - which will cost £1500.  This is with 1 year's experience, clean licence and 1 year's NCB.  Mileage makes no difference.  This of course is the maximum low risk indicators any 18 year old could have.

I'll shop around and try the modern/classic hybrid and see if we can get it to down to a more realistic level.

It's a shame the classic underwriters have pulled up the drawbridge so sharply on young drivers.  By modern standards, these are hard cars to drive - so only the reasonably competent and very committed will bother.  I insured this same car at 18 out of earnings from a Saturday job - fat chance these days it would seem.

I have an older daughter who I'll freely admit is not very good at driving and wants and needs as many modern safety nets as possible.  She is not interested in driving my classics, and I wouldn't want her to.  This next one down is a great little driver already, but on paper she is in the same category as all the the new drivers - good or bad.  Shame.

The modern car is a Fiat 500 1.2  which is much quicker and heavier than the Spitfire, gives a much greater sense of "invincibility"  and will do a lot more damage to others if she gets it wrong.  It is also much cheaper to insure - crazy!

I was hoping the underwriters would have developed a more nuanced approach by now after their panic attack at XR3is etc. becoming "classics".  Ah well, probably another younger driver lost to the hobby of older cars.  I will persevere for a bit, but am not expecting much success.

Andy

Andy.

Just because PJ has given a poor return does not mean others will. There is more than 1x underwriter out there and plenty of opportunity to find a good deal. Give Peter Taylor a call and see what he can do. A lot of classic car owners within the Sussex area use Peter Taylor and find him very reasonable - he is a very small individual business, so he will try just that bit harder compared to some of the bigger names.

I guess it depends on how much enquiry work you want to do in order to achieve the above goal.

Good luck.

Richard. 

This is where the Com and classic clubs need to keep up representations to the underwriters,

or classic ownership and car clubs will disappear as the youngsters drop off the hozizon and us older or senior fall by the wayside so owners and cars become things of the past , with no new blood

are we Doomed.

pete

• Like 1

Thought you walked a bit funny. :blink:

I recently had a tiny splinter on my middle finger, fingerboard hand. Got it out but unable to rock the joint and entertain the neighbours. It's taken 6 weeks to heal, old age is a bugger!

Eldest daughter early 30s, full no claims, now has a 7 seater sprog transporter.Too and from school, 3000 miles a year. Insurance £120 a month! Why?

How do our insurers do it for the money? Yes, less miles, less accidents, cars mostly worth less, but how about recovery charges? It happens to us all far more than yer average punter. I got towed last year AA man enquired as to insurance costs. "£90" says I  "Blimey! this tow costs twice that!"

Boys -simmer down  :D

The breakdown cover is incredible value I agree  Tempting Fate but only used it twice in 30 years - here we go...

When gearbox broke close to home (on way to help set up Duxford)  I got a tow home from Mrs M - never again.  She couldn't see my trying to get her to slow down from the high vantage point of a Range Rover.  And every time I tried to keep the rope tight and keep my distance by slowing the Range Rover down with my poor little Spitty I expected the front to get pulled off!

Should've used the breakdown cover but knew I'd not get to Duxford in time if I did.  Clean underpants before I set off again for Duxford and then the ignominy of being shoved in the modern parking!  Hey ho.

Have since bought a spring damped solid tow-bar just in case.

A

• 4 weeks later...

Just to fill in a bit more detail:-

Bit of a hefty excess (£550 total when daughter's driving), she needs to be a classic club member, we have to wait a few weeks until she has a complete year of full licence, and she has to have access to another car and not be the main driver on the Spitty.  All fine for our setup but may not suit everybody.

Peter Best really did go the extra mile (after a bit of persuasion as the initial reaction was that it wouldn't be possible) to sort this out.  I understand Peter himself got involved - very impressed.