Temperature Guage

coxy123

if you short the sender wire to the block and the gauge moves then its a new sender 1500 has  slow moving needles and stabilised supply then its a GTR108 sender 

if nothing happens then its gauge  in trouble,  does the fuel gauge work OK ?

should be at triumfest  but blocked by fathers day , now thats gone bottoms up  ....but the suns out 

Pete

should be at triumfest  but blocked by fathers day , now thats gone bottoms up  ....but the suns out 

Pete

Maybe just as well, a show I got to yesterday after a lot of wheeling and dealing turned out to be a nightmare of broken-down Classics and traffic tailbacks. It was a novelty to see so many cars sitting with their bonnets up - not just Triumphs, everything from an Austin Cambridge to a huge American saloon. Some others were actually driving along with their bonnets up. A lot of complaints and more than a few turned back before reaching the show.

Coxy might be as well without a worry gauge!!

However as you say Pete it's hopefully just the sender but if not, gauges are plentiful second-hand.

Santa Pod was definitely warm! But not much evidence of overheating cars. Notable exception was a friend's Cossie, but a van managed to spray his car with gravel, and hole his rad. Replacement rad delivered and fitted Sunday while we cooked breakfast!

Thinking about it, I wonder if the cars at Colin's shows were ones that don't get enough and exercise to show up things like iffy radiator's​ etc?

Anyway, Pete is spot on. But if shorting to the block doesn't work, connect a lead direct to the gauge Be short. Or swap the fuel and temp gauge connections. They are the same gauges with different lettering!

Thinking about it, I wonder if the cars at Colin's shows were ones that don't get enough and exercise to show up things like iffy radiator's​ etc?

That's possible, but we're talking over 90 minutes to cover three miles in nose to tail traffic, blistering heat, and stop-start motoring where the average movement was one car length about every ten minutes. Even in my modern I was trying to stay under trees and in shady places before moving out into the sunlight again. There were just too many cars waiting to get in through one small entrance where entry was checked and offered brochures etc and then a long winding uphill path through crowds to whatever stand or area the car was bound for. Sadly most of the spectators are totally deaf and won't move out of the way of the cars, so again it's moving at a crawl. One of the biggest shows in the country but getting too crowded to enjoy!

(Apologies to Coxy for hi-jacking his thread but it happens a lot here...!!)

post-151-0-00487400-1497863358_thumb.jpeg

post-151-0-25650600-1497863369_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have a 1500 Spitfire. The temperature gauge has stopped working. All of the wires look intact and connected. Any suggestions please

Yes, coxy, buy a multimeter.

One of the most useful tools in your box, and one of the cheapest.  Less than a tenner.

The sensor should have a high resistance when cold, falling as it heats up.

And there should be an alternating 12V-0V-12V- to the gauge from the so-called Voltage "Stabiliser" (!!  Yes, some stablisation!  But it ensures that the slow moving guage 'sees' the same average 10V at all times, whatever the battery/alternator/dynamo/volts regulator are doing.

Do these tests and you will find out what is wrong by expanding your skill base!

Good luck!

John

• Like 2