Accelerator setup Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Hello Paul.

Mmmmmmmm..................that's interesting !!

I have a little bit of sideplay on the accelerator pedal, but I imagine your pedal must swing like a bell.

Will take a few photos of the set-up on mine and post on here over the next few days.

Are you happy with the rest of the cable route to the carbs ?? If in doubt I will take some of those for you.

What does the Canley technical drawing show, if you have looked at that ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - thanks for offer and would like pics of your setup - the only canleys pic i could find was for a 948 . the base looks similar to mine though i dont have the PEDAL RETURN SPRING - HERALD & VITESSE, though can purchase this . My cable linkage is different in that the cable is linked at the top of the pedal only and again held in by cable strap - Is the 948 the same setup as my Mk2 Vitesse ??

Regards

Paul  

post-1431-0-50301500-1498138415_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul.

No problem will do that.

My gut feeling is that ST will probably have gone along with the same basic pedal / cable set-up, bar some minor changes, for all small chassis cars although I cannot be certain. I am sure we will find out soon enough !!

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

I have a little bit of sideplay on the accelerator pedal, but I imagine your pedal must swing like a bell.

Will take a few photos of the set-up on mine and post on here over the next few days.

Are you happy with the rest of the cable route to the carbs ?? If in doubt I will take some of those for you.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard , I used the search facility on Canleys and found the correct layout for Vitesse Mk2 so photos now not needed - thanks for offer - The attached pic shows layout , im missing the clip holding the cable at the top - My reading is that Canleys sell the whole unit for £13.50 + P&P 

Best regards

Paul 

post-1431-0-13661200-1498137431_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard - just did further check and throttle return spring is there BUT the spring tension assembly - 19 & 20 is missing - see pic . A photo of this linkage would be appreciated 

Best regards 

Paul 

post-1431-0-71726700-1498138837_thumb.jpg

finding a spring thats not weeny and useless or one thats to butch with no extended travel so you cork the throttle and wear out the spindles is not easy

happily rimmers bless em show  pretty much all the parts 

you will have to make the extension  drop down link  from a wire coat hanger and they are getting rare now and find somewhere nice to hook it on

push bike brake cables are much better and cheaper than throttle cables  ,   a long ladies back brake will make two

you will need a solderless nipple  to replace the pear drop or whatever lead end is fitted 

Re sideways play on the pedal. The whole lot is made from metal which was OK for a number of years, but is a bit thin in reality. I remember taking mine out and beefing it up by welding thick washers etc plus a new pivot bolt. Made a vast improvement.

I will second the bike cable solution. Works a treat.

UPDATE

Stripped out pedal assembly and the pivot pin is knackered , I wonder how many miles to achieve these grooves (see pic) The base plate had oversize holes to match . All in all the side play was about 3ins from side to side - the cable ties were there to centralise the pedal .

I have now fitted a new pivot pin which has been fashioned out of a larger diameter bolt , The pedal assembly needed drilling out marginally to accommodate the new pin - With the spring inplace there is no sideplay to speak of so ready to put back .

Ive found a suitable spring for the carb end but cant work out where to attach the wire extension to hold the carb retaining spring so any input here would be appreciated .

Pics attached of the new pedal assembly including a pic of the cable retainer which is simply a cut off section of petrol pipe - looks crude though it wont come out .

Paul  

post-1431-0-58174100-1498560527_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-48206700-1498560528_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-17947300-1498560530_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-48400800-1498560531_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul.

Sorry did not get back to you at the weekend; unforeseen events overtook my spare time so will be back on the case tomorrow with the photos.

Regards.

Richard.

Are you saying it will not hook onto side valence.

Regards

Another Paul

Here a pic of my setup , not sure if its standard . The cable retaining bracket is not standard  and bolts to the manifold - I have added the green section as the carbs couldnt be opened to full throttle . The green section will be sprayed silver once everything is sorted - Cant see a way to secure the spring to anything solid 

Regards

Paul 

post-1431-0-18015900-1498600357_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-53133700-1498600377_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul.

As promised here are some photos of the linkage set-up on my car.

I think it is safe to say that some owners will probably have slight variations on their cars, but if it's safe, reliable and does the job can one really ask for anything more ?? !!

My return spring is clipped on to the starter motor which has a metal band around it, this provides a secure anchoring point for the spring end; hence the variation statement above !!

Due to the position of the solenoid it is not possible to clip the spring on to the valance, although I have no doubt some set-up's will use the valance.

I've not taken photos of the pedal connection as it appears you have solved this issue ??

Regards.

Richard. 

post-818-0-65959600-1498663580_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-85128400-1498663639_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-67392200-1498663658_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-13294500-1498663679_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-65491500-1498663698_thumb.jpg

I used the lower stud of the rear Stromberg (the lower stud holding carb to the inlet manifold) to fix a bracket to. The bracket  (strip of metal) has a hole drilled in it's far end to take throttle lever spring.

You can swing the bracket up or down to get the correct spring tension, then tighten up the stud nut.

I didn't, but you may need a longer stud in the inlet manifold to allow for the thickness of the bracket.

Dave

UPDATE

Fitted the throttle spindle tension spring today - I couldnt find a suitable hold for the spring so used a cable tie wrapped around the starter motor + 6 inches of formed coat hanger + the spring . Thanks for input and another job ticked off 

Best regards

Paul 

Paul.

It's a decent spot to put it, I have done the same as mentioned above and never had an issue.

My only observation (sorry) about your cable tie is that if it's plastic it will become brittle over time - especially the heat generated by the six cylinder engine.

Perhaps using a stainless steel cable tie may prove a better investment in dealing with any heat issues ?? You may already be using one.

You can purchase springs that will be the correct length for your set-up and then the spring would be a direct link from the carb to s/s cable tie - just a thought.

Regards.

Richard. 

Paul.

It's a decent spot to put it, I have done the same as mentioned above and never had an issue.

My only observation (sorry) about your cable tie is that if it's plastic it will become brittle over time - especially the heat generated by the six cylinder engine.

Perhaps using a stainless steel cable tie may prove a better investment in dealing with any heat issues ?? You may already be using one.

You can purchase springs that will be the correct length for your set-up and then the spring would be a direct link from the carb to s/s cable tie - just a thought.

Regards.

Richard. 

Hi Richard , thanks for advice on cable ties , now replaced with stainless band - thanks again

Paul