Rotor arm maybe not seated properly and therefore maybe off centre on Vitesse

daverclasper

its often a hard scaly  build up on dizzy cap contacts  not normally? carbon deposits 

many rota are a bit of a poor fit  a short bit of elec tape can stiffen up sloppy fits

do make sure the sprung centre is in contact with the cap brush,  theres a post about its height on here a few days back

but im just of on hols for a week so tah rah 

Pete

many rota are a bit of a poor fit  a short bit of elec tape can stiffen up sloppy fits

Indeed they are! I've had a few that have literally been balanced on the end of the spindle and only held on by luck and the rotor cap. Try for a NOS version, otherwise I've found the red SimonBBC versions to be a good grip on the spindle.

Indeed they are! I've had a few that have literally been balanced on the end of the spindle and only held on by luck and the rotor cap. Try for a NOS version, otherwise I've found the red SimonBBC versions to be a good grip on the spindle.

Hi - agree with Colin here I have had some real problems with a few rotars I'm currently using a Simonbbc red which along with the nos ones I've purchased as spares has a "bobble" on the top of the contact so reaches the centre connector on the cap more easily

Aidan

(In France and covered 800 miles plus without any issues)

Hi and thanks

Mine has been fine. I think maybe I had not pushed it down fully after doing some work on dizzy. It was low on power and pinking so I retarded timing to get to work, though still low on power and  I wondered how the timing could have moved. I removed rotor, as working in a dodgy part of town. When I refitted it the car was running much better so made me think it was rotor not fitted correctly and I advanced the timing back to original setting.

Car still a bit flat when I open the taps I think.

So I was wondering if the rotor not seating had caused this this bad running.

I can mess around a bit with the timing to see if I can improve the pick up, as was running great before this.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave

Perfectly possible For me the loose rotar caused a misfire and loss of power After taking off the cap and refitting the rotor it was fine for a few miles then started all over again That rotar I could just lift off without effort the replacement was a firm push to fit So just to confirm I think your rotar not being fitted correctly would cause your symptoms

Aidan

Pinking is due to excess advance, which is turning the dizzy, or turning the rotor arm inside the dizzy.    The rotor would have to be so loose on the spindle to allow the last to happen, to cause pinking.    It would have to be so 'unpresseddown' that it was only held by the circumference of the sprindle end., not the peg.   Was it as loose as that?

I found recently that the carbon rod in the centre of the cap was jamming and making poor contact with the rotor.    Nothing to do with a loose/tight rotor.   But that led to misfiring.#

John

Thanks folks

I couldn't see myself why it would have altered the timing. There was no random miss firing as such.

Previous to this I had removed the points plate and base plate, but can't think what I could have put back together incorrectly?.

Thanks, Dave 

Is the points plate earth wire attached? You'd think the plate was earthed through the base plate but the points plate moves and can loose earth, so you need an earth wire.

This happened to me, the car did run but momentary loss of earth caused hesitation loss of power and poor running.