spitfire brake pipe routes.

lil-nicky

Hola!

Getting onto the brake fitting on my mkiv spitfire resto now. I've fitted the pipe kit and it's all plumbed in ok, but it looks a bit... messy? Does the route of the pipework matter much or can I change it to my liking?

Depends what it is you want to do? Some pictures of what it is you don't like would be good. Also get the right rubber for the rubber sections. R9, I believe.

Presumably your also replacing the clutch pipe work? So don't forget to put a loop in the pipe between the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. The pipe can then flex as the engine swings about.

I've tweaked some of mine in the past, particularly where it routes around the front of the chassis and front suspension towers. Nothing drastic but I felt it needed done.

As long as moving it doesn't leave the pipes open to damage from impact or chafing there's no reason why it can't be done.

Yes, sorry guys! I did it again :wub: For some reason my brain jumped to fuel line. Braided hose as Rabbit says. Second time in as many days I've made a stupid suggestion. I suspect Alzheimers. I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room. But, the loop in the clutch line is correct.

Wow! That's very neat! How did you get the pipes to bend so nicely and follow the bulkhead. Mine always seem to want to kink.

I always carefully straighten the pipe first and use a mini tube bender. which gives nice radius and prevents flattening of the pipe in the bend. Your work really is on show so apart from the safety aspect it is well worth taking time to get it as good as you possibly can. I made a little forming tool to fabricate the little aluminium clips.

This is the type of brake pipe bender that I have. It is easy to use and does a good job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-Pipe-Bender-Bending-AT146/dp/B00I5J1UMA

The photo was taken before the engine was commissioned. I've been using a  pair of Ramair foam filter socks on the Webers but just recently I have fabricated an aluminium air box that uses an remote filter sucking in cold air.

r.med_gallery_67_25_29036.jpggallery_67_25_67203.jpggallery_67_25_72392.jpggallery_67_25_16828.jpg

• 2 years later...