1147 idling issue followed by low power

Valherald

Yes, what Casper says. Pipe straight down or more environmentally friendly emission control valve. Pipe straight down, or venting as you are, gets oil fumes into the cabin and contributes to  that wonderful Triumph smell, petrol, oil & damp carpet! I think you've seen the Stromberg carb solution where the rocker box fumes vent into the carbs.

Here is a handy list of SU carbs

http://sucarb.co.uk/cf/vehicle/list/?manufacturer=Triumph&vehicle=Spitfire

Frozen clutch? The twice it's happened to me I've had to take the clutch off to get it separated.  However, advice at the area meeting says jack up the rear wheels, start the engine, put it in gear and run for 15 minutes. The heat from the engine will free the clutch. This has never worked for me, but worth a try before you start deconstructing.

On my list for next week after I've cleaned and adjusted the carbs... they're running horribly rich. Maybe I should set up my own thread of woes and problems, then at least all the answers are in one place! Could put the electric washer conversion there as well, when I've got around typing it up.

There is a blog section on the site but no new entries for several year! Most people just start a thread on here and keep adding to it. Have a look a Bordfunker's "Probably not how to restore a Herald" There's an amusing photo of Mrs Bordfunker in a box. :lol:

I went looking for Mrs Borderfunker for you, but kept getting this Photbucket "update your account message". I don't have a Photobucket account.  What's it all mean?  :blink: 

Can't think of a punchy  title, but Elven 47 has a nice rhyme, you could add something to it?

I think its outlined later in his posts where he says that Photobucket have changed their terms & conditions.  It looks like the pictures were held in his Photobucket account and accessed from the TSSC site by a web-link.  If his account has closed then all the links are useless as there is no account to access.  One of the dangers of having your stuff on-line!

Yes unfortunately Photobucket saw fit to apply a ridiculous price for the previously free pleasure of photo hosting on forums.

At the moment I'm trying to find a decent alternative that either doesn't require you to go visit another URL to view, of provide tiny little thumbnails which you have to open to see properly.

Better find something soon as I've got lots to update on the thread.

Karl

Karl, I like your idea of a running (pun not intended) set of postings. Thinking of doing something similar to keep all my enquiries and the pearls of wisdom from around the country together. Hope you don't mind me following your excellent example. Saves me keep chasing all over the forum looking for old replies!

Ok gents. Adjusted and cleaned carbs according to all the instructions, guidance and general chat. Put it all back together. Tried to start it with no faith whatsoever..... fired up first time, running as sweet as anything. Wonderful.. then disaster.... water pump gasket blew. Turns out fan belt adjusted to tight and one water pump stud only fingure tight. Must have been like that for years. Adjusting the fan belt opened up the joint and instant hot shower. Going to start new thread next week to keep everything in one place. If you find my ramblings of any interest see you there.