Hot in car

coxy123

Not sure if this is the correct section for this, but my car seems to be running well, temp gauge gets to about 1/4 mark. The problem is how hot it gets inside the car. There seem to be several heat reflective products on the market or is there a more sinister cause.

Thanks

What car is it? If it's a GT6 then I'm afraid you'll just have to buy some shorts like the rest of us!  :lol:

It's hot air getting through the bulkhead. You'll have to seal all holes between bulkhead and cabin. Main culprit is the gearbox/clutch tunnel cover. Some seal the edges with bathroom silicon sealant but this is messy the next time it has to come off. Compressible draft proofing tape is another idea. Worth while lining the inside of the tunnel with heat resistant stuff and sound deadening. Other leaks, on mine, steering column hole through bulk head, fuse box come adrift on bulk head, other holes drilled for additional wiring, mounting holes for old servo (New servo required different holes).

That and the noise factor were the reasons I went from fabricated exhaust manifold and twin sport system back to original manifold and standard pattern exhaust. My feet used to feel like they were melting.

That was on a Spitfire 1500, spoiling a good car, a case of improving it worse.

if the tunnel  is  a bit wonky the rubber seal is poor for big undulations ,  I always glue a long bit of sponge foam about 3/4" square section it fills all the wonky bits with ease.

also look at the baulkhead  to bonnet seal this is poor from day one but hot under bonnet air can easily get passed down to the heater intake

a good sponge seal laid around the air intake  thick enough to seal to the underside of the heater grill works well to improve cold air input .

pete

• Like 1

Indeed, air leaks onto the cabin make life very hot!

As Pete says, make sure the gearbox tunnel is well sealed, in the past I have resorted to a bead of silicone and gaffa tape over the join. Black silicone is good adhesive for sticking grommets in place, or filling the myriad of holes you find once you start looking.

Then think heat insulation....

And check the heater valve shuts fully!

Indeed, air leaks onto the cabin make life very hot!

As Pete says, make sure the gearbox tunnel is well sealed, in the past I have resorted to a bead of silicone and gaffa tape over the join. Black silicone is good adhesive for sticking grommets in place, or filling the myriad of holes you find once you start looking.

Then think heat insulation....

And check the heater valve shuts fully!

• 2 weeks later...

cheers for all your replies. I have no under felt under the carpet either. Going to fit a new carpet set so i'll be able to do all the above suggestions at that point. Should make it a bit quieter inside as well.