What is this?

Dave C

Yesterday I took a very deep breath and bought a TR5.

I could see that the car had certain modifications, including uprated brakes and suspension, a modern fuse box and a halogen headlamp/spotlight wiring loom, although no spotlights were fitted.

I could go on with the list of upgrades. The car had a rally look, including seats and harnesses but then a lot of them do.

The car shows no sign of abuse/hard driving. Quite the opposite.

However, when I got the car home and had a closer look at it and a closer look at old receipts it's obvious that someone has spent a fair amount of money money preparing it for competition use.

Behind the dashboard I found a competition battery isolator switch.

I also found another box under the dash and I have no idea what it might be for. I'm attaching a couple of pictures.

Any suggestions?

post-116-0-88895700-1503259558_thumb.jpeg

post-116-0-96991000-1503259667_thumb.jpeg

Looks a bit homemade? Is that an RS box?? can't make the symbol on the side out.

What is it connected to? The 2 spindles look like potentiometers (ie like a volume or speed controller) so could be wiper speed/stereo volume or any number of things. But tracing where it connects to should give some clues.

Quick update.

Rain soon stopped play this afternoon unfortunately.

I've discovered that the controls on the box are marked 'Night' and "Day' (see picture).

There is a light gauge wire which goes to the main instrument illumination lamps.

Several heavier gauge wires lead to some relays in the engine bay. At the moment I can't see where the wires terminate on the other side of the relay as they disappear into the depths of a wiring loom which is heavily taped up. 

I may be able to see more when it finally stops raining.....

post-116-0-52487800-1503335052_thumb.jpg

I don't think that's its purpose Doug. The TR5 and TR6 already have an instrument dimmer (very posh, I'm not accustomed to such luxury on a Triumph!)

As far as I can tell, twiddling the controls on the mystery box has no discernable effect on anything.

The only thing I can think of is the Halogen wiring loom thats installed. I think it's for spotlamps but none are fitted. There's an on/off switch for the Halogen kit fitted on a blanking panel where the radio would be. When it's switched 'on' I can hear the relay clicking when full beam is switched on and off. I've attached a couple of photos.

I would ask the PO, but I don't think he had much idea what was fitted and what wasn't. He hadn't owned the car long.

At this stage, I'm inclined to leave well alone and have a cup of tea.....

(PS; Apologies for all the pics being 90 degrees out. I don't know why theyre loading like that.)

post-116-0-80599500-1503340680_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-24039600-1503340701_thumb.jpg

I've solved the mystery I think.

A tell-tale lamp has been fitted between the speedo and the rev counter which indicates when overdrive is engaged.

The 'day' controller on the box turns the tell-tale lamp on and off with very little adjustment inbetween.

When the headlamps are turned on the 'night' controller is a dimmer switch for the tell-tale with far more adjustment than the day controller.

As far as I can see that's it.

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to. 'Operation Overkill' springs to mind............

Dave