welding fumes/ smoke extractor fan

Unkel Kunkel

Offered as a cheap way of reducing the noxious fumes we car restorers inhale when welding:

An extractor  fan: 

(No , not an ex-tractor fan -that  someone who is no longer excited by  little grey Fergie's and John Deeres)

When replacing front outriggers ,I was surpised how much acrid smoke was produced.

Some of this from  "normal" MIG fumes  and odd spec of burning paint  bit of paint but  there seemed  a lot of fumes  which stank like burning bitumen which seemed to be in the lower part of the chassis parts( is this usual?).It made me  make a hasty exit, coughing  and eyes streaming. ,seeking fresher air.

OK , yes, I know should have been wearing a mask .(but how many if us do?)

Anyway ,to make things a bit more pleasant, I made a cheap extractor - 

a  B &Q kitchen  extractor fan,  fitted it with a Maplin on / off swith , 2 core flex and plug and  connected it to a long lenghth  of kitchen extractor corrugated Al.  tube ,( B&Q).

It helps.

IMG_0157.JPG

Certain metals, in our applications the zinc from galvanised steel, can cause 'welder's flu' or "metal fume fever', and prevention is down to cleaning the work piece as far back as it will be significantly heated by the weld, of all surface materials, paint, underseal or corrosion.   This is as  essential for good welds as to protect yourself.  

I learnt this lesson, because my DPO had melted and poured between the rear wheel arches and side panels, some bitumen.     Inspired bodging, as when hard the bitumen can be smoothed and painted, but when I tried to weld a patch panel on it melted, caught fire and burning drops fell onto me, my clothes and the floor.    Instant Napalm.

John

I always try and weld outside where fumes can dissipate quickly, as it's generall breezey on my drive, or if indo have to weld in the garage, then I leave both the main garage door, and the side door open to promote a draft through the space.

Not sure whether a filter mask would even fit under a welding helmet, and would probably be extremely uncomfortable.

Karl

Your're absolutely right John  it looks a bit precarious but in mitigation and not obvious in the photo,   the crane  hydraulics have been let down  so the crane frame  itself is wedged tightly between the chassis offside chassis  rail and wall and then the hydraulics pumped minimally.For the chassis to move it would not be reliant on the hydraulics or sling, the crane would have to be removed and  also the other  rear stand  ( out of view).If this happened ,the off side wheels would rest against the wall.The garage is  narrow.. unless the wall ..