10CR 2017 In a small yellow car

Clive

We are just coming to the end of the 10CR. I can report plenty of cake has been consumed, and we have visited France, Belgium and Luxembourg. Gill currently driving the spitfire up a mountain pass, heading to our hotel in Mulhouse. The 7000rpm advisory rev limit is being ignored as usual.

1504711534274-1689842431.jpg

• Like 1

Found cake, or at least strudel and custard, on top of Bernina pass. Glacier view from cafe.

And I have been called a hooligan. By part of our group. Something about overtaking going up to he passes. Should add down 25% due to altitude. That is about 45bhp lost, and missing it dearly.

15047930856341531920637.jpg

150479311932630922481.jpg

21 minutes ago, clive said:

Found cake, or at least strudel and custard, on top of Bernina pass. Glacier view from cafe.

And I have been called a hooligan. By part of our group. Something about overtaking going up to he passes. Should add down 25% due to altitude. That is about 45bhp lost, and missing it dearly.

15047930856341531920637.jpg

150479311932630922481.jpg

Good boy. We like hooligans!

A bit of spanners get first thing today. Weeping fuel pipe sorted and squeezing fan belt adjusted. Irritatingly the actual adjuster has fractured but bolted together now so should be ok. 

Currently enjoying drinks at the top of Timmeljoch ( no space for food after 5 course dinner and a fried breakfast)

1504865616651-300076820.jpg

We certainly ate plenty of cake....

Anyway, in conclusion, we did approx 2000 miles door to door. Did many mountain passes, made new friends and spent time with old ones. 

The car was almost faultless. It used about 1/4 litre of oil. I also had to sort a weeping fuel hose (cut the end off, refixed with a new hose clip) plus a fractured alternator adjusting arm (again fixed for the trip using a nut and bolt to clamp it together)

For anybody really wanting to have a few days of excellent driving and exploring superb roads, the 10CR can be highly recommended. But be warned, places fill VERY quickly, as in 85 places went in just a few days. They happen every 2 years, next year being a RBRR year (another excellent event, but more intense). But a better selection of well-prepared cars (though to look at them it can be a surprise!) with only 1 car out of 85 being recovered. That was a sprint engined dolomite with a suspected HG failure.

Anyway, roll on the next one....

Hello Clive.

Congratulations and thanks for keeping the Forum updated with the stage reports; 1 down out of 80+ plus cars says a lot about Triumphs and also the work the owners / drivers have put in to ensure the best possible odds.

Out of interest and looking at the post you placed last Thursday at 0510; the photo of your Spitfire (parked up) shows the rear N/S wheel at what appears to be a considerable angle compared to the rear O/S. Is it just the photo (optical illusion), road camber, parking bay surface or something more substantial than that ?? Whatever it is and it's probably nothing, it certainly was not an issue.

Just curious on looking at the photo.

Best wishes and well done to you and Gill.

Regards.

Richard. 

A pleasure to show people what our cars are capable of. 

The fall out rate seems to have doubled, one guy made it to the start, apparently bought 25L of oil as he reckoned that was what was needed to get him back to the UK!!!

Back to my car, the picture is all a bit misleading, as it was quite a slope there, so it may be an optical illusion. When I am feeling a bit better (back playing up again, got the sniffles, I must be falling apart) I intend jacking the car up properly and having a decent look at the rear suspension, see if that throws anything up. But thankyou for flagging it up.

ps and some of the cars are a credit of peoples ingenuity at keeping the things going. All sorts of running repairs were carried out, some that many would hesitate to do in a fully equipped garage never mind in a layby!