Are Impact Sockets really needed?

AidanT

Hopefully a simple question? (if there is such a thing)

About to buy a battery impact wrench (190 nm) so not the most powerful  I have good quality 1/2" imperial heavy duty sockets

So do i have to buy another impact set or can I get away without?

Aidan

Within the same brand you would expect impact sockets to withstand shock better than normal sockets.  When an impact socket fails it should distort rather than shatter.

Another thing is impact sockets tend to be bigger physically to in tight spaces may harder to use. 

Buying more sockets may be an opportunity to have both 6 side and 12 side in your armoury. + there are times when having 2 sockets the same size is useful.

I find the supplied sockets are too large and so far not broken any standard sockets - I use a Lidl wired 300 nm and the handiest one being the Milwaukee impact wrench 110 nm though no good for the bigger jobs like drive shaft nuts 

Paul 

Aiden,

I think the survival of the sockets depends on the torque of the driver. I've managed to split a 15/16 socket on my drive shaft nuts using a 450Nm mains impact driver. You can see the resultant crack in the picture below. I buy impact sockets as an when I find I need them rather than having a full set.

Wayne  

IMG_1355.JPG

The ransmitted effort is all down to the initial torque applied, the sticktion in the resultant fixing and anything uncle tom cobbly can 

Cobble together to make unscrewing a challenge 

My battery wrench does 330 lbft ( when fully charged)I would only use hardened impact socket  on this 

But my 3/8 drive is less aggressive and std sockets work well

So if theres a big nut but not siezed any socket will survive reasonably well ,

If its a old rusty thread bound gorrilla bound nut then a proper impact socket is advisable

Certainly any 6 sided is stroger than a bi hex, and applies the impacr much more efficiently

Air powered guns only deliver the output if the supply hose and volume are adequate

A long hose of 10mm dia will seriously strangle the guns output.

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Air powered guns only deliver the output if the supply hose and volume are adequate

A long hose of 10mm dia will seriously strangle the guns output.

Pete

I still prefer mine to a battery version, though.... even on a 30 foot hose..... but it's professional quality on a 200 litre compressor.

My impact sockets are all 6-sided and seriously thick-walled, but I'm not averse to using a standard socket where as Steve says space is tight. I used a standard socket for the pulley nut on a 1500 Spitfire that had resisted all other means of removal, with no problems.