Using Starter Fluid on Spitfire MK4

Piper

Hi all,

I'm a new Spitfire owner.  I bought the MK4 last year and have been taking it out every 2-4 weeks in the winter months when the weather permits.   Although the car runs great it can tough to start after sitting in a cold garage for 3 weeks.  I was thinking of boosting with with some starter spray. Do people recommend taking the air filters off and spraying directly into the carbs, or just spraying into the air filters?

Thanks

Do what works! However, you may be suffering from drain back, where fuel drains back to the tank. Does your fuel pump have a primer lever? If so give this a few.... well half dozen pumps before firing up.. If no primer might be worth a refurb kit for the pump.

Doug

If the fuel pump has  a hand prime lever , give it some pumps to top up the float chambers

Make sure when you pull the choke that the jet holders actually drop fully , and return fully when control is pressed back in.

What spark plugs /type  are fitted ??

The mk IV Will have a ballasted 6v coil as std.  This needs a 12v feed when you crank it can you make sure you are getting a full

12volts when cranking .

Are there any modifications from normal ??

They dont need starting sprays , only as a last attempt,  it should have no problems starting 

Apart from evaporation lowering the float levels when left for long periods

Pete